Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

neutral saftey switch on VK

Fluffy91

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk
hi guys im struggling to find any info on how to bypass the auto neutral safety switch as i hav converted it to a manual and wont start for me anymore.
i have 2 purple wires 1 yellow 1 green 1 pink 1 black and 1 brown wire
pink and green are my reverse lights
yellow is my handbrake light

cheers

Fluffy91

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk
Got it sorted ran a wire from the starter exciter wire to the purple ones and she starts up off the key and shuts off as well thx for u help mow for the rest of the project

VC HDT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC Brock
Got it sorted ran a wire from the starter exciter wire to the purple ones and she starts up off the key and shuts off as well thx for u help mow for the rest of the project
Hey mate I'm having the same problem. Can you tell me plz what you did with the purple wires?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Join them together to bypass the neutral safety switch.

Reactions: Lex

VC HDT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC Brock
Join them together to bypass the neutral safety switch.
2 purple wires. One is for the neutral safety switch and the other is for the starter solenoid. I've installed a B@M shifter into a VB Commodore. The car only starts when the factory t-bar and module are hooked up. 2 micro switches on the new shifter. The bottom is apparently for the neutral safety switch and the top are for the reverse lights.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Never seen a B&M shifter so you would need to get their wiring diagram to figure out where to put the wires.

The starter motor is wired via the neutral safety switch. So the purple wire goes from the ignition switch to the neutral safety switch to the starter motor solenoid.

If there are only micro switches on the shifter then they aren't designed to handle the high current the starter motor solenoid will draw. Early girl Commodores power the starter solenoid directly from the ignition switch without using a relay like more modern cars do. I'd recommend adding a relay to make the electrical system more reliable.

I'd highly recommend you get hold of a wiring diagram to understand exactly how it all works.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride

VC HDT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC Brock
Never seen a B&M shifter so you would need to get their wiring diagram to figure out where to put the wires.

The starter motor is wired via the neutral safety switch. So the purple wire goes from the ignition switch to the neutral safety switch to the starter motor solenoid.

If there are only micro switches on the shifter then they aren't designed to handle the high current the starter motor solenoid will draw. Early girl Commodores power the starter solenoid directly from the ignition switch without using a relay like more modern cars do. I'd recommend adding a relay to make the electrical system more reliable.

I'd highly recommend you get hold of a wiring diagram to understand exactly how it all works.
Ok thanks mate