Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Never mind the bollocks (carwise... not the sexpistols...its a rant in resp. 2 rant)

acex1138

Post Overlord
Reaction score
Members Ride
Kawasaki GPX
Dont know if I'm allowed to quote or post a link to mighty car mods, You all know my opinion of them, idiots who dont know much but they make an entertaining show sometimes.

One of the hosts moog just put up a really long rant that I cant help but take some of it to heart as my opinion as well with the industry.

I went a while not wanting anyone to know who I worked for, growing up I got work early on in the IT industry and was to use to all the BS and lies that went on in it, and all this time later still go on.

As a kid a computer was pretty much a best friend until I grew up and had more friends, long story short at 14.5 first job was working in a computer store as what an applestore calls a 'genius bar' which is a statement anyone who's worked in IT laughs at.

The amount of crap you hear that many people assume as fact and after a while it becomes a 'thing'.

Back in primary school around year 5.... (this is going back a while before there was red tape everywhere) my school didnt even have an IT guy, yeah I know that sounds like forever ago but this was like 1999, our school had a government IT team come in and install 20 new pc's for the entire school replacing our old 486's..... our librarian was an old cat lady and self professed IT GURU who let everyone know it, would talk down to everyone about it, her opinion was fact

So most of the kids I went to school with got taught bs that when it got called out debate was shut down her word was established as law, back then you couldnt get a virus by just opening webmail..... she kept shoving the myth down everyones throat that you could get a virus by looking at an email and it would 'eat the entire computers files' so she had everyone paranoid about the computer use, convinced everyone that a computer could be hacked by an external user without an internet connection. Your usual know nothing know it all.

Didnt have any qualifications, got IT co-ordinator added to her librarian title.... and after the computers would break down due to some joker deleting your core windows file (because of course it wasnt using windows NT).

So she has everyone thinking computers are dangerous skills so anyone who knows what they are doing with them must be a guru...

I get a reputation there helping people use email, just doing basic stuff (and if anyone remembers back to the 90s...... so many people thought basic computer operation was a new science they needed a degree in).

Got to a point where I had teachers from other clases offering me a packet of chips of an ice coffee or whatever to come and fix their computer dilemas, and this no nothing woman still spouting her crap.

Towards the end of the year she got a TA (teachers assistant) who hung on her every word, and I just didnt want anything to do with fixing up any of the schools dramas..... it wasnt my job..... I was only 10 .... i didnt have that many social skills and was ostracized at the school for being the 'computer guy' who was only of use to them 'when the screen like totalee froze' or when the principle needed me to reinstall windows because he was paranoid that because he couldnt find a file it must have been 'eaten by a virus' and so I had to back up all his data and reinstall everything. But hey got me out of maths class as c****** (her name) was 'too important' to fix it. But hey packet of chips and a chocolate milk, gets me out of a math class and my father didnt see it as wagging class he thought he was raising an IT prodigy.

So pretty much you have one person talking sh!t to an entire school they all listen, 300 people all bs'd by one person into stuff they still quote as true today, she even raised another TA who's now an 'IT guru' working at the department of education which might explain why they have so many web errors that despite them being an intelligent person everytime I've ran into her since she still believes a lot of the stories she was told and accepts them as fact despite logic proviing them false.

So flash forward to highschool, who had an IT team, who back in 2001/2 people are becoming a lot more tech savvy, half their IT team were like this pervious woman, talk sh!t keep telling stories spouting facts that mostly turn out complete crap.... late 2002 government starts to take IT seriously and they require them to have field relevant qualification in it so by 2003 most of them are booted.

Father gets me a job at the local computer store as soon as im legal to work (few months before hand anyway).

Everyday you deal with someone comes in worried about the same myths they've been told, you can explain the science to some of them but no matter what, so many of them have been told how you can get virus's so easily of legal data discs..... even had these old folks that got told that kids video games contained the most viruses that would eat their files and they have gone to their deathbed spouting how pc games contain viruses...

So I can detail more stories about this but you get the picture, someone says something, gets taken on they say this people hear it that many times it becomes gospel to them.

As you can see I f****ng hate IT.

Worked at this smallfry area PC shop from 14.5 to 17 use to live and breathe video games which meant cramming the most out of my hardware, exploiting systems etc. Grew up found social skills built on them. Leave school end of year 11 to join army. Get turfed, and up spending 6 months various jobs before getting back into school to finish year 12 in 6 months even having a 3 month stint at maccas during this time before being hired by ADRT.

18 Enroll in tafe to study business.... find its weaker than year 10 business studies...... end up pretty much pushed by rents into Systems engineering (hybrid of electronics and IT) and it pretty much starts to confirm what i've been thinking all my life.... that electronics and IT require a specific kind of person, someone who lives and breathes it... and most of the time its someone with poor social skills, an inflated ego and sometimes you just don't understand these people.

For them being so into the science of IT..... trying to convince everyone that their overclocked celeron 2ghz (before they went to model designations and clockspeeds became irrelevant) could out perform the guy who just bought a conroe.

End up getting a job at woolworths you all know.... wont go into those stories too much time there.

So i workout im putting in 5-20 hour a week at tafe and 3 nights a week at woolies while im 18 and im still trying to get a real job.... and of all places MSY hires me.... and yes people they ARE as bad as you think they are.... and i quickly learned to tell people little about where I worked..... for years i'd been dogged as being 'computer guy' so everyone always wants something fixed, always wants opinions or wants to bS me about something to do with it (newsflash I didnt really care)

working there I thought working at the local shop was bad with all the people who came in with all their stories they'd heard from their friends nephew about computers they'd heard so much they took as fact but we were honest we'd help them. MSY would exploit this.... someone came in paranoid about a virus eating their files, at the old computer shop we'd explain how viruses worked malware, adware, the differences etc, and we'd offer you a kaspersky and showed how it worked, to a lot of people this gave them piece of mind or if they worked out they didnt really have a problem we found they'd come back for other purchases as we'd been good to them.

MSY a guy would come in say he was sure viruses were eating his files, their first reaction was bring your computer in and for all these labour charges 'we save all computer'

So fair enough your going to clean up the pc and charge for labour, but their standard practice to save time was to wipe the PC, reinstall a pirate copy of windows and hand it back to them. Each MSY I know has differant procedures but considering how most people who work there have NO qualifications I guess you dont know what you'l get. When I got hired there it turned out they hadnt even read my resume they just wanted someone who spoke english and knew the computer parts..... when they found out I was skilled and qualified I got stuck out the back to work on hardware.. and the SOP for most of the hardware things were to break things blame it on warranty etc at 2 differant shops I worked at. If there were any drama's it was SOP for them to give the customer a generic myth story 'virus ate your files' or when a customer would come in with a full computer with someone like a video driver issue which could have been fixed or a sound card not working to pull it out plug in a new one, tell them it had 'died' or 'blown up' and sell them a new one.

And the sad thing was..... a lot of people working there believed these stories, customer once came in with a new computer where the nvidia drivers hadnt been installed so windows xp was using generic drivers and they were telling them their son gave them this new computer and the colours were wrong fix it. Saw my boss open it up look bemused.... and tell him his new 8600GT (which was pricey at the time) was not windows xp compatable and then sell him a copy of windows vista......

I ask him why he did it and he tells me in broken english that the card doesnt work. windows vista will fix.... i tell him yeah there are XP drivers could have saved him $140 and make it up later in return sales... he tries to tell me he is expert he knows 8600GT wont work in windows xp.... need to run on vista 'vista has the drivers'.

Explain to him you can install drivers.... he looks bemused... it amazed me how someone gets a job in the IT industry where its standard practice to build systems and install driver discs etc, that this guy seemed to think drivers were only in the OS.

Got sick of it..... woolworths offer me management position so I leave msy and take it..... down the track I get offered a job at A&R computers..... thought MSY were bad with bs and myths.... they took the cake..... anyone who lives in SA know how bad they were... I lasted a week there before I threw in the towel and went back to woolworths.

And I could swear that most of these bullsh!t stories and myths were invented there.... like that story you hear of a disc exploding in someones drive when I started to learn a lot of these stories are invented.... A&R even went on review websites to bash the competition, competitions products.

In adelaide you heard all these myths about LiteOn disc burners... most of them we're spread by A&R...... as they didnt sell much liteon as they made next to no profit on them they would always try and upsell you to a BenQ or an LG they'd make money on

You'd hear stories about BFG cards overheating and exploding (how???) well getright sold heaps of BFG cards.... so A&R started storytelling, mostly on forums etc.

So all of these myths that got around adelaide.... thats how they started.

So yeah 19..... decide im done with IT forever. I hate it. I lothe it..... im tired of the myths, the stories that can never be backed up and the one time I can trace a story all the way I find out it origins, a store trying to sell more crap.

Then of all jobs I find myself working in automotive engineering...... and this is where I really touch up with moog's rant..... I worked up until a earlier this year (2 years) as a suspension expert.

You will not believe some of the crap I read. Everytime some 'expert' talks about chopping his springs, you just want to pull their head in. They shoot someone down forum flame whatnot.... yeah a BMW engineer once made reference about cutting his springs.... who cares go back to the basic science and spring rate, yeah he might have done it for A race on A specific race track, it might have worked.

He may have actually cut the spring properly....

Wait whats that all the 'experts' on spring cutting are saying, what do you mean properly?

well basic science lesson.... you cut anything it causes friction, friction = heat.

What has this got to do with it? cos I totes use ma oxy-torch like a pro....

Well anyone who knows spring steel and basic metals.... spring steel is very specific with what you can do.. you can heat it but you need to do it in specific ways.

When you actually make a spring you need to go through various stages.... and quench it in oil, pretty much it goes through a glass stage, a plastic stage and a spring steel stage. and it all has to be heated at the same time otherwise weakpoints occur.

So if your playing alone at home.... your oxy torch can cause weakpoints in your spring coil all it takes is 0.000000000000001 of the spring to have a weakpoint where it is even just above the plastic stage (I use to have a VY commodore coil in my office that a kid cut with an oxy, if you head into IES you can still see it in the shop there) and the coil collapses.

Now most of you metal workers know how you cut metal using the CORRECT blade for the metal and application / type of cut and plenty of FUCHS lubricant to cool it as you go.

And yes I know what teh coil cutter experts are going to say.... 'well I knows your totes fulla sh1tz cos when you taper a coil you grind the ends'. Thats a differant science in itself. yes that does generate heat but coil tapering/grinding is very specific and this does not affect the integrity of the spring coil.

Hand cutting with jaws is inaccurate and affects the integrity of it, generates heat weakpoints etc.

You explain this billions and billions of times over and over..... but someone always knows their mothers boyfriends cousin who does it all the time and its fine. Oh and it rides soft. Rofl.

I've researched this myth all I can... and the furthest back I can get it to is this BMW engineer.... if anyone knows how far the myth goes back in AUS i'd love to know..... all the oldschoolers here who oxy'd heaps back in the old days and swear it worked... everyone of them seems to know someone who had a coil collapse and always says it must have been 'cut wrong' but in general even if you do a lube'd up cut you'r still messing with the springrate pretty badly.

I know im gonna get flamed for all those comments. but whatever. I had to deal with this 8-6 every day for 2 years. and we'd get a lot of these customers back later with other dramas.

And then it comes to moogs other comment which has been raised here several times..... ride height... everyone demanding everyone have their car at 'lebspec'. Slammed on all 4's.

my first commodore the VR was lowered to legal...... benefit to handling.... barely noticeable..... benefit to looks? well it didnt look stock so I got pulled over frequently with sapol expecting to defect me for height or engine mods and with only having stock wheels on there.... it would have looked nicer if it was at standard height with 18"s on it.

Kid I worked with at IES had a VZ senator he dumped our quad L's in it.... i dont buy into the kings SL's..... UL's etc.... company I worked for had a good way of measuring them and you knew how much hte coils went down by, kings are always a pain if you dont have the handbook in front of you (we dealt kings too) and as a lot of vehicles SHARE coils but they have differant effects on it this becomes painfull.

Especially when you have 'experts' who sell coils in swap meet or on ebay and try and tell you their kings coils to fit their VX V6 Wagon FE2 suspension will fit your VR SS with FE1 at the same heights. Lets not get into that one its happened before. Even had a kid come in and ask for a set of legal VZ executive FE1 springs (and us telling him our usual statement of if its lower than standard its lower than legal) and then come in and demanded a refund a month later because his mate whos an expert put the springs in his VT SS FE2 and got defected by SAPOL for too low.

You wont believe the crap I copped when I bought my VT calais and put standard height larger diameter springs (20% stronger) in it.... kept copping all this your handling will suck you wont pick up in it. It will ride horribly.

Most comfortable ride i've ever had, used my spring knowledge went with comfort. And performance saw no difference, the only time I have ever seen performance increase from a lower spring......

super heavy diameter double/tripple lowered coils (close to what kings call a superlow) which also increases the weight and the pressure of the spring.

Guess what car these went into...

AE86 Corolla for All Japanese Panel and Spares.... we made heaps of these and skyline coils for them..... why doesnt that sound like a really hard ride?

Well if you took this car to the shops and back your ass would hurt.... you go over many bumps say goodbye to your CV joints holding **** together.

These are drift coils..... makes the car useless to drive around in anywhere but drifting on a perfect flat track. But they actually put a noticeable difference on handling the AE86 you'd probably be looking at a 15% increase in handling...... r33, r34 probably 10%..... which it doesnt sound like much but when your drifting you notice.

So lowering for normal cars? its pretty much seems cosmetic and losing the ability to drive over speedbumps and driveways.

So when i got my WRX.... it came with stiff as hell suspension i've nearly been tempted to put thicker wire coils in it at its standard height and just whack 19"s on her.... dont care what anyone says dont care that you can fit your sneakers in the front wheel arch...

So yeah long rant.... but yeah..... seems to be these myths and stuff everywhere

Since I got out of engineering and worked up and down the east coast I heard so many more of these bs myths and stupid things people have accepted as facts..... since breaking my ribs and punctu

some_guy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SII Exec.
Epic post is epic.

Read for ages got and realized I was only halfway through.
My reaction

epic-jackie-chan-template.png

F l a k

Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR Exec
Wow, you sure can talk lol. But nah I understand the IT myths, working in IT myself. Fortunately we only install stuff so I don't have to worry about people getting ripped off, I don't think I could work a job where that was happening to people. Just not that kinda guy. Our biggest thing is customers who know more than us. For example today a bloke who was in charge of IT for a certain section asked me if he could restart his computer after I had just finished very clearly stating that he cannot turn it off as I'm transfering his data. He also had 15gb of .wma music and told me it shouldn't take as long as it does to transfer data as he copied a 1gb file once and it only took a few minutes. What does he think I was doing, copying one file at a time? lol

Anyway, IT is gay, I'm changing to Automotive next year lol. And you're right, to really do IT you have to live and breathe it where as I really don't.

I wonder what's in part two...

Anyway MCM isn't a bad show, I agree that they don't really do stuff properly but it's entertaining nonetheless.

Rufys

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II Calais Sportwagon
And you're right, to really do IT you have to live and breathe it where as I really don't.

Except for my Military Service, I have spent my entire professional career in IT and am now a Manager at one of Australia's top Universities earning well beyond what I need to maintain a very comfortable lifestyle and I certainly have NEVER "lived and breathed" IT. Sure, there are those types, but to be successful in IT certainly doesn't require it.

And before people flame, this is not a post intended to be about "bragging" etc. Just saying... To me, IT is one of the EASIEST ways to make a very very comfortable income.

acex1138

Post Overlord
Reaction score
Members Ride
Kawasaki GPX
what part 2? rofl. I know what you means Rufys..... those jobs are few and far between though I have a few mates who have 'goofed' their way into those jobs.

One of my mates didnt know what to do after he finished year 12... got a traineeship at flinders in AV they gave him a big office and buy him a new computer... he swears all he does is move stuff around and plug in cables and thats about it, he's now been there 6 years rakes in excess of $60k a year and spends most of it torrenting and watching tv at work.

Doesnt know anything about IT but if they have a persentation he brings the projectors down and plugs them in... pretty comfortable life.... they are talking about promoting him to IT and apparantly all of his training counts towards knocking 2 years of an IT degree in basic IT..... well hey maybe he'll learn something lol

some_guy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SII Exec.
Part 2 should continue from the line where you start talking about ribs and punctured something.

But honestly dude. I could have summed that up in two short paragraphs.

You go in circles and make one point with two sub-standing examples go for like 900 words too long.

I only read it all because I was waiting for something to happen. Then bam, nothing.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
I got bored after line 2 lol...then scrolled down hoping i could pick up what was said...alas epic post is epic fail imho lol.