Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Alternator issues 2013 lpg wagon

Sv6wagz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sv6 z
Long story short, sort of…
Driving around 60kmh had someone pulling out their driveway, I hit the brakes, crisis averted. Go to take off the car is running rough, stability control warning. Pull over and the car is idling rough. Turn it off, go to start, won’t start, almost like a dead flat battery. Wait 5min it laboured but did start and I go home fine, with no other warning etc.

Next day car starts fine but idling roughly, revs jumping from 500-1000. After a min or so it settled and I drive without issue for an hour or so, then started getting battery saver mode and service charging system.
Next day car struggles to start, reverse out of the driveway and it stalls, cant start it again. Call Ravc tells be battery is ok ish since it was only a few months old. Check alternator, not so good.
Next day starts fine and the dies. Got it towed to mechanics they look it over and come up with alternator is cooked.
Ok cool, they put in a new aftermarket alternator call me up say cars ready to go. I picked it up, start the car and I get battery light on and alternator warning on dash!
Turn off the on same deal. Left the car with them to have a look. Next day they tell me it’s ready again, then call me last min and say warning is back and they’ll have another look at it. Third day I go to pick it up and they can work out what’s giving the error as they say no error codes are coming up and suggest I drive it a day or two and see what happens??
I drive home and voltage driving was around 12.9v to mid 13’s. And battery charge was 91%. Pulled battery terminal for 10min, back on in hopes but nada.
This morning , voltage was 12.6v before start.
turn the engine on, voltage drops to 9. Something for a flash of a second and goes up to 14.7-14.8 ish and has been there since.
Battery charge is now 69%.
Seems to start fine and run fine and buy all accounts the alternator is doing it’s job, as in charging, not sure if it’s putting out the amps.

Each and every time I start the car up the battery indicator stays on and the alternator warning on the dash comes up.
Any ideas what this could be? I take only assume havyhad the car two days there’d have tried all the basics of wiring, ground terminals etc. what else could it be? Wrong alternator, faulty out of the box??
I’m taking back in today, I’m not keen on just driving around waiting for magic to happen.
Any replies would be much appreciated.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Try a genuine alternator.

Sv6wagz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sv6 z
Small update, seems when I turn ignition on and let the car do the system check, which comes back ok, and then start the car I get battery indicator and alternator warning. 10/10
However, 6 out of 10 times I just started the car straight up I get no battery light or alternator warning….

Thanks for your input, lmoengnr
I’ll take it on board.