Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New belt = braking/steering shudder

shmity

Reaction score
New belt = braking/steering shudder?

Hi guys, ive just had a fair amount of work conducted on my VS engine. The head was replaced (under warranty), new crank angle sensor and fan belt.
Whilst the engine runs well now, there is brake and steering shudder that wasn't present the day before the work was done.
Could this point to impropper tensioning on the belt or perhaps a bad reinstall of the harmonic balancer?
Cheers

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
belts on vn+ should auto tension [strong pully on a swing spring near alternator]

not sure what would be causing this one....

S

Statesman94

The work you have had done should have nothing to do with a shudder, however if you had a service done at the same time they may have rotated your tyres. In my experience tyre balance is usually the cause of front end shudder problems. Thats where I would look 1st:)

shmity

Reaction score
Hrm, nah no service done, and i forgot about the auto tension. Could it be a bad install on the harmonic balancer? The engine has a slightly different note to it now, but i guess that would be from the new head.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Just take it back to where you got it fixed - remember you paid $$$$ to fix the car. If they are reputable and responsible then they will do whatever to fix your problem but just remember to play it cool when you see them as there is nothing worse than being told that you've stuffed something up. Mechanics have a bugger of a job.