Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New brake pads and discs just installed on my vs wagon now i have an issue!

djvass

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS BT1 SS 5ltr original
Hey Guys,

After trying to find my issue on the forum i have not found anything close.

Changed front and rear rotors and all brake pads today. All looked and felt like it went well untill i drove it.

Could hear metal rubbing on metal! Drove it back home and i could hear that the noise was comeing from the rear so i pulled the tyre off and had a look. Put the car in Nuteral and took the hadbrake off and spun the disc. I have found that the disc is rubbing on the part that holds the calipers in? Took it all apart again to see what i was doing wrong.

I have found that the new disc sits fine and has plenty of room but when i put the tyre back on it is like the disc goes to far back and then rubs on the metal bracket. I am a little stumped on this one and could do with some advise.

Car is a 1995 Vs exec wagon. Live axel and non abs. I like to try to fix these issues before posting but i am stumped. The back of my discs on both sides are now slightly damaged.

Shattered but any help would be greatly apprechitaed.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Firstly, obviously if the discs are damaged, throw them away, shattered that they are new though.

Take the wheel off and put a couple of wheel nuts on the studs and do them up, does the disc still rub?

Is the bolts holding the caliper bracket done up tight?

djvass

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah it pushes the disk in up against the caliper bracket when the wheel nuts are done up. Disks are not damaged that bad that they need to be thrown away. All bots are done up nice and tight.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
are they stock standard rotors? It sounds like maybe the drum for the handbrake may be a tad deeper than the ones you replaced so the wheel pushes the disc into a different track hence the rubbing. Have you compared the newies to your old ones? Where did you buy the rotors. Check with the suppliers? I presume all your caliper pins are moving freely etc? Did you replace the pins or leave them done up?
It's such a pain to have a job not work out right. I hope there's a straightforward solution.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
I'd do as VPRob suggests measure the old ones up against the new ones, yu may have been given the wrong ones it sounds like the offset is slightly different. When you replaced them did you clean all the rust and scale off the hub surfaces the rotors go up against? This is to ensure they run true.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Sounds like they are the wrong rotors for the back.

Welcome back mate

djvass

Reaction score
Members Ride
are they stock standard rotors? It sounds like maybe the drum for the handbrake may be a tad deeper than the ones you replaced so the wheel pushes the disc into a different track hence the rubbing. Have you compared the newies to your old ones? Where did you buy the rotors. Check with the suppliers? I presume all your caliper pins are moving freely etc? Did you replace the pins or leave them done up?
It's such a pain to have a job not work out right. I hope there's a straightforward solution.

Thats excatly what i was thinking. It wouldn't be the first time i have been given the wrong part.

They are stock rotors nothing fancy should have bolted straight up very disapointed and shattered on my behalf as i should have spun the wheel before driving it as now i will be up for another set of rear rotors. It spun nice when the wheel was off but like i said when doing up the nuts it pushes it all the way in. I will be going down to the shop to sort this out!

djvass

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sounds like they are the wrong rotors for the back.

Welcome back mate

Yeah bud i dare say that they have and i will find out tonight. Thanks for the welcome back. Hope all is well with you?

djvass

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'd do as VPRob suggests measure the old ones up against the new ones, yu may have been given the wrong ones it sounds like the offset is slightly different. When you replaced them did you clean all the rust and scale off the hub surfaces the rotors go up against? This is to ensure they run true.

All was cleaned before hand and there rearly shouldnt have been an issue but i dare say i have the wrong rear rotors. As i did the job a few weeks back and had the car up on the stands untill sunday i had already threw out the old ones so these no chance of measuring them.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
All good this end of town :)

U should be able to take the rotors back, I have an old set here for irs abs, and they measure 86mm from outside edges, and rough 81mm from inside the hub to the outer edge.