Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New carpet and tips

dobesz

355ssute
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss ute
Putting new carpet into the ute along with whole lot of interior tidy up/mods. Any tips on what i should do when doing carpet, obviously i have stripped out the seats and seat belts as have brand new ones to go in.
Did you get new underlay? Sound deadener, heat shield or anything like that? As my ute is modded and runs relatively high compression the trans tunnel gets nice and hot from zaust temps

KhaosInc

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais V8 M5
Its a tedious job doing sound deadener, I just did it in a sedan. Went way overboard ripped entire interior out (had to get new dash and had caprice seats front and back to go in) and put down from firewall to back seat backing sound deadener (dynamax copy) then got 10mm formshield from clark rubber and used that as underlay (its a heat shield foam that also helps with sound, I put the foil side down) and then put new 2 piece carpet down. Carpet was a bitch to get the holes in the right spot as I threw out my old one as it was manky and had a lot of holes in it, try to copy as much over from your old one by putting the old one over the new one and marking it out, just make sure its pushed down enough to make the marks line up so they aren't off. Car isn't back on the road yet so can't comment on how much all that helps with road noise.

I also ripped my HVAC apart and put a new evaporator core and heater core in since i pulled it out too. (now it doesn't want to turn on, the joys of car mods lol)

Word of warning with the formshield it did make parts of the carpet sit funny as it was a little thicker than underlay was so I had to push the carpet down and rely on the seat belt bolts to hold it down.

I would suggest new underlay at the least as this will help with road noise and make the carpet sit right and cushy.

If you want to stop exhaust heat you might be best looking at heat shields under the car?

dobesz

355ssute
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss ute
Yea unfortunately the extractors pretty much mms from the floor pan near steering rack. I have a clark rubber near me ill take a look at the form shield, see u can get underlays that have a foil base on them. Otherwise i could maybe just use sound system style mat and do whole floor and trans tunnel

dobesz

355ssute
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss ute
Standard sound deadener any good? As have a shitload of aftermarket gear with the alloy on one and bituman style on the back. Could i stick over the original?
8E232C2E-C732-42CA-A9C4-6A7C781FA837_zpsyaakpnjk.jpg