Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Commodore - 2018 First Look

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
LOL, we call those the Remuera tractors, all the house wives with there fancy 4x4's.

Tradies have mostly gone to the likes of the Ford Ranger (the most popular model here in NZ now) Vs the more traditional Holden and Ford utes.

My sister in law has a Volvo XC90 , closest it's come to going off road is when my brother uses it to take rubbish to the tip, and my brother in law , has taken delivery of a , ahem ,BMW X5 4.5 V8 , I know we are South African , but you can't get anymore stereotypical than that :rolleyes:, it's odd how now the Colorado is now Holden's best selling car and the Trail Blazer apparently is selling well too

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
LOL,

My Saffa supervisor at work used to have an X5 as well (the stupid bastard just couldn't afford to run it).....

Yep, Colorado is now running 3rd in class, closely behind the Hilux but the Ranger is outselling em both big time. I actually kinda like the Ranger, it's a good looking vehicle. If I get a truck one day though I'd much prefer an American model, quiet like the Dodge Ram unfortunately they are treated like a luxury vehicle here (and charge for it like one) instead of the workhorse it really is. The Ford F150 is a nice rig too.

convas

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Commodore SSV
Think about this. A Thai-built car selling here for about 30 grand probably only costs the large manufacturer using Thai labour about 15 grand (or less) off the line...that is complete with all costs, including imported parts. So just who is being swindled? The public, that's who! Okay...for that same car off an Aussie line the full production cost might be around 21 grand. The profit margin is lower so the dealers sell it for, say, 33 grand. That's what killed us...that and the economies of scale and the removal of protective tariffs. Our forebears knew that tariffs were the only way to keep our industries going if we were to have a viable industry in times of military need. It's a pity that both of our major parties today have about as much foresight as a gnat!

But what if that same car can only be sold for $20k then you are making a loss, look at Hyundai, they pretty much only sell cars when they do the $20k drive away deals, how can a local manufacturer compete with that when it cost them more to build, they would have to try to compete in the "luxury" end of the market and there people would prefer BMW's and Merc's instead.

Stroppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Sportwagon
But what if that same car can only be sold for $20k then you are making a loss, look at Hyundai, they pretty much only sell cars when they do the $20k drive away deals, how can a local manufacturer compete with that when it cost them more to build, they would have to try to compete in the "luxury" end of the market and there people would prefer BMW's and Merc's instead.
Convas, the reason they can sell the I30 so cheaply is the MASSIVE economies of scale in the Korean factory. The main plant in Ulsan would fit five GM Elizabeth plants and still have room left over. Worker's pay in South Korea is on a par with Aussie workers...that's not the issue. Fact is that they have such an efficient production line with vast output that can build cars to any country's spec.

We missed the boat by allowing ourselves to become manufacturing offshoots of American and Japanese companies rather than encouraging Australian entrepreneurs to make an Australian car. I think we would have been very good at it and could have carved our own niche out in the world-wide market. Now, with globalisation, that's a long lost dream. It's interesting to note the pressure Trump has put on Ford, GM and Toyota to keep their factories in America and how they seem to be complying with his wishes. It may signal a new era of protectionism. All very strange days ahead.

Stroppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Sportwagon
LOL, we call those the Remuera tractors, all the house wives with there fancy 4x4's.

Tradies have mostly gone to the likes of the Ford Ranger (the most popular model here in NZ now) Vs the more traditional Holden and Ford utes.

Quite frankly all these people buying the massive pickups and SUVs are buying into a fashion which will cost them dearly in the future. Tyres for these things cost a mint, as does diesel servicing (especially if you are only doing daily short runs) and most of them handle like blancmange on a skateboard.

When I was looking at buying a new car my brother was jumping up and down wanting me to buy an SUV which, in his words, would be "great for the dog...heaps of room" blah, blah, blah. Well the SUV's height means doggy can't easily jump into the back, most SUVs have bugger-all room in the tail unless you fold down seats and they don't have the speed or handling finesse of my lovely VF Commodore sportwagon. Horses for courses BUT why people have moved away from wagons and big sedans (if they have a large family) is beyond me. Fashion, I suppose...but one that they'll pay for once the maintenance cycle begins. Now if they are bushies or they go four wheel driving and camping...or do a lot of load lugging, well and good. Otherwise a Holden or Ford ute or wagon would surely suffice.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
All-new rear-drive ‘fastback’ Kia is gunning for Commodore fans and performance buyers

This is the Stinger GT and it’s the car Kia hopes will win it a legion of new fans Down Under.

Kia-Stinger-GT-Exterior-1_EU-Spec-copy.jpg

And as if to twist the knife, Kia has already stated the all-new, rear-drive four-door sedan is set to be launched in Australia
around the same time we say goodbye to production of the last local rear drive hero car later this year (October 2017).

We’ll be one of the car’s first markets. But there’s no mistaking the timing or intent of the move.

Kia Australia will target enthusiasts. It will also woo police forces across the country with Stinger GT

http://www.motoring.com.au/detroit-motor-show-kia-debuts-twin-turbo-v6-stinger-gt-105326/

Kia just kicked Holden in the nuts me thinks.... :p

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
All-new rear-drive ‘fastback’ Kia is gunning for Commodore fans and performance buyers

Kia just kicked Holden in the nuts me thinks.... :p

Yup. Providing it has enough torque and drives as good as it looks MY18 Commodore is going to have a Kia badge

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Will it only sell in small numbers to a discerning clientele (enthusiasts), or, if it is a huge sales success, why have the majority of buyers forsaken the sedans from the ‘Aussie’ manufacturers ?.
Interesting times ahead for the large RWD sedan in Oz that Holden ( I mean GM ) declared is dead, and Ford have buried.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Quite frankly all these people buying the massive pickups and SUVs are buying into a fashion which will cost them dearly in the future. Tyres for these things cost a mint, as does diesel servicing (especially if you are only doing daily short runs) and most of them handle like blancmange on a skateboard.

When I was looking at buying a new car my brother was jumping up and down wanting me to buy an SUV which, in his words, would be "great for the dog...heaps of room" blah, blah, blah. Well the SUV's height means doggy can't easily jump into the back, most SUVs have bugger-all room in the tail unless you fold down seats and they don't have the speed or handling finesse of my lovely VF Commodore sportwagon. Horses for courses BUT why people have moved away from wagons and big sedans (if they have a large family) is beyond me. Fashion, I suppose...but one that they'll pay for once the maintenance cycle begins. Now if they are bushies or they go four wheel driving and camping...or do a lot of load lugging, well and good. Otherwise a Holden or Ford ute or wagon would surely suffice.

Stroppy

There's more to buying an SUVforvsome people than just being fashionable.

I drove Commodore sedans for years and loved them but age and physical conditions eventually made them difficult to enter and exit.

I'm almost 65 and 6'4" in height. My knees are both stuffed. The other half has hip problems. Late model Commie seats tend to be pretty low set and we bought an SUV principally for the much higher seat height and easy access. The wagon type body also beats a sedan boot for loading.

Handling is adequate but obviously inferior to your VF. Dittoneconomy though not by much. We don't have a large SUV and the size of our car is ideal. It's a fair bit shorter than a Commie and pretty manouverable.

I'd much rather have a VF but it just doesn't suit our needs any more. I'm sure we are not alone