Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Buick] New crankshaft question

Cartinkera

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR Commodore Acclaim
:computer:

Last edited:

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Don't bother changing the sump, it will fit. You will need a mail order tune to run the engine with the current ECU or you can get the VS ECU and wiring loom.

So let me get this straight, are you saying you want to get rid of the blower and have it run N/A? If so, that's a waste of time and it will not be all that great because of the low compression ratio.

Cartinkera

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'll get around to answering your reply as soon as work out how to work this forum!
I think I got it now, lol.

So your saying that the VX sump will fit when put into my VR K-frame, ok, I was only going on word of mouth on that.

I'm just testing the water here, not sure about the term "mail order tune" you lost me there.
As for changing ECU and wiring looms, it would mean changing the dash loom to, that's where I'm drawing a line, it,s a job I don't think I'll be up for.
Yes, getting rid of the blower and have it run N/A manifold.
The affect on compression ratio was on my mind too, but then a diesel fitter I brought this up with was unsure as the blower was of a small size.

Last edited:

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Yes, getting rid of the blower and have it run N/A manifold.
The affect on compression ratio was on my mind too, but then a diesel fitter I brought this up with was unsure as the blower was of a small size.

This is a waste of time, don't bother. Just pick up a stock N/A and slap it in. Why you would want to make all this extra work for yourself, I don't know (unless you're a P-plater). I suspect the stock tune won't run it particularly well.

AFAIK the L67 is 8.5:1 comp and the Ecotec runs closer to 10:1.

Honestly, if you're dead set running an Ecotec (all Ecotecs are pretty much the same) in a VR body with minimal work just sell it and buy a VS, so much less messing around with looms and factory security.

Have a browse on PCM Hacking, there might be a run down of what's needed there.

Cartinkera

Reaction score
Members Ride
No "P plater" here mate! Had a MC licence most likely before most of you had your "P,s" "Money" mate! I'm on a pensioner, I have this VX engine here and it's only had 2 months of use, (Just pick up a stock N/A and slap it in) What! how many 20 year old VR engine's done under 200k going cheep, Just asking a few question's here mate, no need to be rude!
But if it can't be done, it can't be done! you sound like you work for Holden, because that's pretty much the way they talk.

Last edited:

shadetreemechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR v6
Cartinkera, i dont think he meant to come across as rude and i reckon the bloke has a point. If it was me and i wantd to run the stock n/a ecotec i would offer up the l67 for sale or swap with a known good standard motor, im sure there is one out there for ya.

Otherwise id be fitting it and keeping the blower. Would be nicer to have a supercharged VR, no?

The swap will pretty much require the lot. Ecu, loom, and the trans as your old trans is different to the VX one and the new ecu will most likely not run it properly ( if at all)
Hence why he mentions the mail order tune to make your VR ecu run the VX motor. And if you do bodge up the l67 with the regular manifold youll definitely need somebody to do you up a fully custom tune.

With the dash loom im not sure since i havent actually done a conversion myself. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can help.

My 2c

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It can be done.

However, as mentioned already what your planning is probably not the most ideal way of going about this. As already mentioned, the L67 blown V6 is a low compression engine so when used as an n/a engine like a standard ecotec V6 it is going to be down on power somewhat.

As suggested, your best bet is to pick up an ecotec engine, preferably VX/VY era. These can be made to work with your original PCM (ecu) however some minor wiring alterations will need to be made but nothing to difficult. Once that is done then you will need to get a tune to suit the new engine. This conversion has already been done a few times and there is a thread on this forum doing an ecotec conversion in to VN. This is basically the same as what your intending to do as the wiring loom your working with is almost identical. See http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...ecotec-vn-vp.html?highlight=ecotec+conversion

Somebody on the PCMHack website may be able to help you with a tune for it.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Just asking a few question's here mate, no need to be rude!

I'm not trying to be rude, I'm giving you the reality of the situation. You're trying to re-invent the wheel, and in the process you're making it worse. I'm sorry if my "this is a waste of time" comment was too blunt.

The L67 is Ecotec based. There's still plenty of low K N/A Ecotecs to be had (many newer than your current VX motor) as they were used until the VY.

Let me rephrase this then: what are you trying to achieve by making this L67 an N/A engine? If it's just the provision of a low K motor, there are much better and easier ways to doing it (for example, an N/A VX motor).

Also, if you consider that your limiting factor is pulling out the dash loom, at a minimum you have the following ahead of you for this. You will either need to swap the heads to regular Ecotec variants or weld up the ports on the Ecotec manifold, run smaller injectors, get a tune for the low comp pistons and depending on what ECU you would like to run (if you want sequential injection etc...), Ecotec fuel rails, etc...

For the cost of buying and swapping all that separately you could just save the hassle and buy the standard Ecotec with a better compression ratio much cheaper.

Last edited:

Cartinkera

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thank you, I have no doubt that R_J_K had a point, and for me it's pretty much puts the matter to bed, it's a long story but only the VX engine was untouched in a burnt out wreck, so I have no trans or looms, If it wasn't for the low compression ratio I might of been able to make this work, I fully understand what you both are saying, like I said "pretty much puts the matter to bed". Think I'll be chasing up another good VR engine, thanks for your time.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
A very low mileage L67 engine in good condition should be worth a bit.