Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New drag build

mat vsII

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK statesman 5.7, VS exec TURBO
hi guys, me and my mate have just sold our ef falcon turbo manual track car and now we are wanting to back to commodores.

we are planning on building a dedicated drag car, not ever to be registered again. we want an efi 5.0 auto commodore because this is going to be a real budjet build and the 5.0 sounds mad. we arent trying to be the fasted car out there we are just wanting to have some fun building something new. we do all of our own work and we plan on installing a cam, intake manifold, full exhaust and 100hp we shot of nitrouse from one of my old cars. we plan on getting a car for about $1500
cam less than $500
exhaust we will make for around $200 and the nitrouse we already have

we know the basic mechanical side of it all but im just wonering if anyone has gone down this path before and has any advice on which car to go with VN-VT, ideas on diff gears or any other advise along the way.

cheers,
mat

vrsprspt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 VT Senator
As far as which car to use, the VNs are a little lighter car than the later models like VT, the 1st gen commodores like VB-VL are smaller and lighter again and the EFI 5L will bolt straight in as they are pretty much the same engine as a 308 but with just a different top end-heads, manifold and EFI gear

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
Go for A vb-VL and if I was doin it budget I would also go a carbie 308 or 350 chev, saves on dyno tuning after cam and manifold swap, if u guys have enough knowledge to swap a cam then us will know how to research stuff u will figger out how to tune a carbie and advance timing accordingly for nos and so it's endless and great fun for mates to learn together
and can also run on different fuels for better results as it's drag car only

Goin down this path u will learn more then u can imagine

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
how much of a drag build are we talkin??
a slapped together donk or or something you wana be running mid to low 11's in??

mat vsII

Reaction score
Members Ride
ive had a few 1st gen commodores in the past but we are set on a VN-VS. we dont want to build a new motor or anything we are just wanting to chuck a cam in it, gas it up and lighten the car out. so the budget will be very tight. i had a VS with a live axle in it so i know you can get live axles in all of them. would u guys suggest going with a live axle car? the IRS should grip better but i dont know how strong they are

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Dedicated drag car, live axle for sure.

mat vsII

Reaction score
Members Ride
me and my mate have put thought into using a carbie and it’s probably what we will end up doing (even if it is only to look cool with a filter hanging out of the bonnet), I don’t want to go down the small block chev rout just because it would be a lot of work with new mounts, engine and all the rest, we are doing this on a budget and I’m saving for a wedding and the missus would crack it if i was spending all of my spare money on a drag car. we are starting off with a stock commodore and we will run some times, then do the exhaust and strip out the car and run more times and keep doing it one step at a time so we can keep record of results. We don’t want to have much more then 5K invested in the car in total which we think is pretty achievable. We won’t be going for 10's. I’ll be happy to run 13s and i would be stoked if we could do high 12s