Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New ECU software 172 or 175?

old holden v8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 175 Alloytech
Hi.

My VZ exec wagon has the problem with the after market H/U and the dissapearing dash menu's. Coupled with the notorious fuel gauge, and off to my local dealer I went. I explained the problem(s) (paint peeling from door handles too..) and service adviser wants the car to reflash dash AND ECU to fix the dash and fuel gauge.

My question here is being a 7/2005 model will I end up with the latest "175" software, ie. Euro 3 compliant - which I believe is a "172" kw tune?

Or will my car's tune not alter?

Curious...

Thanks

Laurie.

PS. Current Software Version is: 000.027.000

Last edited:

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
not sure how much power you will get, but you deffently wont notice the difference in 3 kilowatts..

but is there a difference in torque between the two???

Willz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turismo Sv6 with leather
I may be wrong but doesnt the software upgrade ur refering to affect the dash cluster/bcm and not the actually ecu.

either way a 3kw difference shouldnt make a noticable difference + wasnt the drop because of 2 extra cats being placed into the exhaust system to meet emissions?

if ur really worried ask ur service guy to just upgrade the dash cluster software and leave the ecu alone :thumbsup:

anyway looks like the tunning software for these motors should be out soon so u can get your 3kw back + maybe more :whistling

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
the fuel guage fix requires the ECU & instruments to be reflashed with updated software, you will get the same engine calibration with the updated fuel guage segment, The ECU MUST be reflashed as the original software is not compatible with the new istrument software

the later software is not compatible with your car.
the software version you have is the instrument cluster only, it has no bearing on the Engine software

the dash reflash may not get back the missing options in a VY though, it definitely works in a VZ but not VY

Last edited:

jaisvz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VZ SV6
the paint is peeling from my handles too... the rear external door handle surounds. Did they do anything about it?

old holden v8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 175 Alloytech
the fuel guage fix requires the ECU & instruments to be reflashed with updated software, you will get the same engine calibration with the updated fuel guage segment, The ECU MUST be reflashed as the original software is not compatible with the new istrument software

the later software is not compatible with your car.
the software version you have is the instrument cluster only, it has no bearing on the Engine software

the dash reflash may not get back the missing options in a VZ too, it definitely works in a VY but not VZ

Hi Rob.

Many thanks for clarifying all that.

I am a little confused regarding whether the gauge reflash for missing display(s) will work on a VZ.

In this http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=13144&highlight=head+unit thread
you mentioned that it will work in a VZ, maybe not in a VY...quoted below (my apologies for quoting out of context..)
OK guys the answer is......
if its a VZ take tha car to Holden & have them reflash the dash with the latest software (this may also include the Engine controller software) this should fix up the missing options.
if its a VY there is no easy fix like that, it may be possible with some custom programming, but not sure
Rob

Door handles? My dealer is ordering new ones (painting them, then fit) - but were not too keen as it was pointed out that pressure washing was the culprit.

My answer was how was I supposed to keep car clean on stage 4 restrictions here??, I hope they come through, otherwise I'll order some of the $22 NVU painted ones, or even caprice chrome ones...

Thanks again...

Laurie
:)

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
Hi Rob.

Many thanks for clarifying all that.

I am a little confused regarding whether the gauge reflash for missing display(s) will work on a VZ.

In this http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=13144&highlight=head+unit thread
you mentioned that it will work in a VZ, maybe not in a VY...quoted below (my apologies for quoting out of context..)
OK guys the answer is......
if its a VZ take tha car to Holden & have them reflash the dash with the latest software (this may also include the Engine controller software) this should fix up the missing options.
if its a VY there is no easy fix like that, it may be possible with some custom programming, but not sure
Rob

Door handles? My dealer is ordering new ones (painting them, then fit) - but were not too keen as it was pointed out that pressure washing was the culprit.

My answer was how was I supposed to keep car clean on stage 4 restrictions here??, I hope they come through, otherwise I'll order some of the $22 NVU painted ones, or even caprice chrome ones...

Thanks again...

Laurie
:)

yes my mistake the VZ is fixable the VY isnt.lol i will fix up the other post now

old holden v8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 175 Alloytech
Thanks Rob.

My dealer hadn't actually heard of the dash fix for the missing displays when a non OEM H/U is installed.....

I'll report back on the results, in case others have the same problems.

Thanks again.

Laurie.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
its not actually public information.lol

old holden v8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 175 Alloytech
Finally some news to report.

Dash displays ARE fixed with the reflash - obviously the ones that apply to sound system are non existant, but others are back..

Fuel gauge after reflash of dash and ECU software is as bad as ever. Fuel gauge reads empty - display 0 KM left until empty - when approx. 15+ litres or so left....*sigh*..

Cheers

Laurie