Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Engine Advice?!?!

My Car Pwns

16 Mths Suspended Lisence
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fully Sick Push Bike Uleh!
ok guys.. as most of you know.. my car is up **** creek at the moment, having a blown head gasket and all.. i've decided on getting a new old motor from the wreckers.. $350 for a good one with 3 months warranty.. i plan on putting it in at home with my dad.. he is an expert at changing the older engines.. (toranas, eh, etc..) i know this is a lot more difficult as it has fuel injection and is all electronic with computer, etc.. so any advice, tips, anything.. please let me know.. i dont have $400 to let a pro do it.. also from my last thread, something about a wire loom? pls let me know what this is.. any general tips? i have never done this before.. so im pretty much relying on you guys.. thanks heaps... :thumbsup:
also remember im a noob so pls dont get to technical with words.. lol thx

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
well as far as i can see if your going from a rb30e to rb30e.. there won't be anything needed to be changed, disconnect everything, label it on both sides of the connection. then take the old engine out, put the new one in. connect the labels and use the old engine labels as a reference.

everything should line up.

coolngroovy

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY06 VZ Calais
I suggest before you go tearing things to pieces,invest $50 in a max ellery workshop manual.Worth every cent!

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
Yep get the manual and Bextor's 100%, if you label absolutely everything (if you don't know what it is give it a number), you'll have an engine out of the car covered in notes saying where to put what (wish I did this with the VH lol)

My Car Pwns

Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks guys.. also im thinking of getting a nissan engine instead coz apparently they are better and are exactly the same.. any suggestions? do i need to replace the computer?

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Exactly the same, and nah, leave the computer.

My Car Pwns

Reaction score
Members Ride
k got my new engine.. $200 delivered, the old one is out.. jus having trouble taking off the fly wheel/. any suggestions.. then i can get started on the new one.. the fly wheel is still attatched to the engine and i need 2 put it on the new one before i put it in???

Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Crapbox
$200 and no box... w000t. Nar she'll be right. The torque convertor bolts prob have loctite on them which you will need to re-do when you put on new motor. Its a liquid thats like liquid-nails for bolt threads so they dont come undone in a hurry as you may have witnessed. Lock the flywheel up somehow and put a pipe over the end of the wratchet to get some leverage if you have to but i always loosened mine off while still on the car using the biggest stanley(insert plug for company here) screw driver to lock the flywheel up and just used a ring spanner on the bolts.

Eat your weeties son before you have another crack.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Damn right, its all about the leverage... Get the biggest socket you can and slip a pipe over it to get even more leverage on the sucker.

V

vlrad

no locktight then no go - i have had to pull a box out before because I did take my time putting the flywheel on with locktight