Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

new headunit ~$200?

Razor-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE
Hey,
I'm after a new head unit, I currently have a JVC KD-G722 USB CD/MP3 CAR RADIO IN BLACK Wholesalers JVC KD-G722 USB CD/MP3 CAR RADIO IN BLACK buying bulk traders exporters suppliers wholesale prices dropshipment Which isn't too bad, but hard to use, an aux input, and its fairly scratched up..

I'm after a new head unit that has:
AUX input
SUB input and control

i have Kevlar series 6-inch component speakers - Jaycar Electronics Speakers, which where above my budget but i got them anyway, so i would like a head unit that could use all potential of these speakers ( Also some of head-units Ive see only have like 20RMS and my speakers are 60RMS, this isn't getting much out of the speakers is it?)

I'm looking at ~200, is this a realistic price?

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Well, you have quite a range of headunits in that price range, just look at the most basic models of all the main manufacturers like:

1. Pioneer
  2. Alpine
  3. Sony
  4. JVC
  5. Kenwood
  6. Clarion
etc etc etc...

Just be aware that your not going to get anything spectacular with that sort of money, won't have very good sound or be a very flashy unit. But if your only wanting to spend under $200 then I'm guessing that your ok with that :thumbsup:

Razor-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE
won't have very good sound
hmm i thought headunits didnt really make much difference to sound quality?

Heres somthing somebody else said in another one of my posts (Talking bout the jaycar kevlar 6" Speakers)
No point running these splits off the head unit mate. Your head unit will put out max 20w (if it is alpine, 15w for most others) rms per channel, and these splits need 100w rms per channel to drive them. There will be no gain in using them without an amp. You will be more satisfied if you amp them. Your factory 15w rms speakers will put out more volume.
I have been looking at the exact same splits myself, very nice speakers you will be happy with them, after you amp them

Is this at all true?
How much would a low end amp cost?

Razor-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Mate, some people say that there is no point spending big bucks to get well known stereo brands like Pioneer, Alpine etc. But if you get a shitty little amp like this then because they are crap and made crap (and you pay very little, because it is crap) you run the risk of it overheating, dying, or setting fire to your car in the worst circumstance.

Headunits make alot of difference with sound quality man.

Remember, with stereo's you get what you pay for. There is no such thing as a 'cheap' and 'good' stereo. Look around for some second hand stuff on ebay man.

Check this thread out though. Very informative.

Now run through a few things:

1. What car you have
  2. What gear you are looking to buy
  3. What your budget is
  4. What sort of sound are you looking for?