Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Here :) Just bought a 96 vs Berlina hoping for some tips ;)

GOOD'OL'BOMBODORES

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Hey guys.. just joined the site.. thought id introduce myself and post about my new car.. im only 18 planning on doing my 1st year mechanics soon and im currently on my learners but have my p's booked for 2 week! :) excited? (Maybe just a lil)
just yesterday bought myself a 1996 vs berlina with rego till 31/10/13.. shes not in the best of shape, body can use with some touch ups and probably in need of a good service.. but thought id post about it and see what you guys think, and hopefully get some tips about it :)
I paid $1000 for it how it is.. as I said needs some touch ups etc but couldn't believe it only has 105000k's on the clock!
The previous owners son put a cd player in it and I even found blue LED strips under the car yesterday!
anyway.. only driven it a couple times but have noticed a couple things im hoping to get your thoughts on..
1) steering feels a bit heavy and can squeak and moan a lil while turning.. check power steering fluid and seems fine.. im thinking maybe the pumps on its way out?
2) back end can clunk some times? I was thinkin loose tailshaft or dif or something along those lines?
3) gearbox can sometimes have a clunk and want to inch forward a bit when going from park or reverse to drive? I was thinking a good service should sort this out? Did notice the trans fluid could do with a change aswell.
other then that and the fact that I ran outta fuel with the gauge reading a quarter of a tank! Lol.. I havent found any other problems..
if you guys know of anything else I should look out for aswell id love to know :)
P.S: I tried uploading some pics but will have to do it from my computer.. so give me some time and ill have some pics for you guys :) cheers

luke23

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl
first point of advice, remove said L.E.D strip because thats homo, unless you think it looks fully sick then keep it I guess..
second point, my first car was a vs berlina, the extra features in them are cool, power windows and electric aerial is where its at

Okay problems time-
1.if you have power steering fluid, the steering problem could be the steering rack or power steering fuse, or im not sure if berlinas have it but calais and statesman have some speed sensitive steering option in them (so I hear) apparently it plays up and its a common problem in them
2.rear end clunk noise could be loose exhaust, or cracked diff cradle (because its i.r.s), stuffed diff ect
3.service probably wont help if its making a clunk noise in the gearbox, sounds like the uni joints or maybe your engine or trans mounts could be playing up
4.the fuel gauge problem could be a sticky needle, it could get stuck at a quarter of a tank insted of going to empty, or the fuel pump mighten be in properly, my tank still had fuel but since the swirl pot wasnt in properly the car wouldnt start as if it was out of fuel, but if you had atleast a quarter of a tank it would start

Anyways without looking at your car those are some things you should look at to begin with and are the most common problems to start you off with, best of luck mate

GOOD'OL'BOMBODORES

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Thanks for the reply.. yeh I havent been using the LEDs
and have just re registered it.. I was told the driver side front wheel bearing is on its way out.. could this be the clunk I hear when braking?
And as for everything else.. im taking it to mechanic hopefully on friday to have a complete look over.. :)

luke23

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl
well if all the problems I said are right youll easily be forking out over grand to get them fixed with labour plus parts, maybe just take it and see what he says needs fixing then do it all at home, especially if you want to be a mechanic, itll be good practice ;)

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore / WM Caprice V
congrats and welcome ,the commy is a great start to play around with especially as you are going to become a mechanic,

GOOD'OL'BOMBODORES

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Well.. the bombodore has stopped workin.. (wont start) she turns over but wont fire.. fired a couple of times but wouldnt stay running.. had to get her towed home yesterday..
I was thinking at first crank angle sensor but now thinking its the fuel pump.. considering it just passed rego (thank the car god!!) Im gunna have a go at replacing it myself.. can get the fuel pump for 30 bucks.. much better then 600 for a mechanic to do it..
are you guys able to give me any pointers on doing it or if I should check other things first?? Checked the fuses and relays etc.. still nothing..
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

luke23

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl
How much fuels left? If it died at about quarter of a tank again it could be the swirl pot in your fuel pump, maybe try putting more fuel in and if it starts I can guarantee thats the problem, exact same thing happened with my one, if it starts when you put more fuel in just try keeping the tank above half a tank and it should be fine (this is just a maybe but, sounds exactly the same as what happened to mine)

luke23

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl
Well looks like youve gotten unlucky with this car, anyway if its turning and almost starting then I doubt its the crank angle sensor, and before you go changing fuel pumps and other parts make sure you check the battery (for clean and tight terminals as well as if its charged) then just look up on this site how to check fuses to rule them out, then look up how to diagnose a fuel pump problem to see if thats the problem, only tips for changing one is that its abit difficult as its an internal pump and you have to put it up into the tank, it can be easy to screw up and if you do it wrong it wont work properly