Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New idea for Just Commodores

Would you like to see a wiki-style knowledge base for Just Commodores

• Yes, and I'd actively contribute to articles (where I had something useful to contribute)

Votes: 18 69.2%
  • Yes, but I'd probably only read what others had written

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • No

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters

smokey_dj

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 vn series 2 exec [URMONY] & 93 vp calais
yeah i couldnt agree more even though theres the sections broken into groups of 1-or 2 models its just still difficult to gewt what you want so a new thrread usually seems the best way to go
this im sure will help many and i fully back the idea

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Infin8 said:
this is tha way many forums are going (but not many have implemented them because of the cost & time associated with it)

There are tons of flavours of wiki available, but many (or most) of them are free (the software that is) so the main costs of implementing them are the hardware and bandwidth that will host them. If JC was willing to host it on their hardware then that would eliminate the need for most, if any extra cost on top of the existing hosting, and in terms of bandwidth, if the content was good enough then I could forsee that it may actually reduce bandwidth costs, as a large amount of traffic through the forums would be eliminated if members found the answers to their questions in the wiki.

When it comes to man hours, they are to a large extent self managing and self policing (by the very nature of the thing). There would be some ongoing administrative needs, but relatively minor compared to what mods already need to do in the forums, and again hopefully the forum mods would benefit from having to deal with less threads on the same old stuff.

Slim said:
Here is one example.
A arcade games building etc forum.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/

And their Wiki site:
http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/wiki/Main_Page

Yep, thats pretty much the idea I'm on about! Do you know what the community response was like to the introduction of the wiki? (PS. and thanks for the site, if I ever feel the urge to build a arcade cabinet for my Xbox I'll know where to go! ;) )

ProjectCheapVn said:
good idea but will take a while to sort out the post with information thats worthwhile and post that are just full of....... wrong information

Definitely, the idea is however that even if incorrect information does creep in, the article gets refined as people review it and eventually the bad stuff gets weeded out.

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
(PS. and thanks for the site, if I ever feel the urge to build a arcade cabinet for my Xbox I'll know where to go! ;) )

Yep. I have a half built arcade cabinet still not finished after 4 years! I also have many other project ideas to come in the future but my car in the recent times has become more of a priority ;)

Yeah, that site is good. You could spend ages going through it. Also check out the main page. The site is very informative ;)

:thumbsup:

Stewart1000

work done by ME
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VL twin turbo. VN5L. old jeep, **** mondeo.
yeah i reckon the idea is good, but it'll just be all talk unless someone actually does something about it.
i think it would push through easier if there were some stats on cost time and how long it would take.

and i'm sure there are a few smarties on here that could help it on its way...

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR

sganro

i speak before i think
Reaction score
Members Ride
yet another VS
i reckon its a good idea :thumbsup:

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
This is going to be a fairly quick post as I'm getting ready for work and all the rest.

I do like this idea very much, obviously there's aspects of it that require some thinking such as implementation and moderation just to name them off the top of my head

A new well additional server is on the way soon enough is going to run all the sql database stuff in the background with the current machine doing web based. I have thought about just splashing out and going a blade server but they are a little on the expensive side.

On the front of bandwidth that isn't a huge problem, although there has been talk of a certain fairly big telco who shall remain anonymous removing PIPE networks from their data centres which will hurt in a big way.

That's for me now, I'll have a play on the development machine and see what we can come up with, even if we get it the main structure in place we can work it from there. It won't be easy I'm sure as it would be like starting a whole new site ie no rankings.

Cheers
Darren

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Thanks for the info Darren. Sounds promising!

We've gone with MediaWiki (the one that drives Wikipedia, can also scale very well) at work and although we aren't at a deployment stage yet I can say that its working very well out the box, the main implementation issues we have are 1) branding 2) setting up permissions (our audience is entirely internal) and the various config options; and 3) intergrating our organisations login system with the wiki (single sign-on)

In the JC case 1) would surely be applicable, but this can evolve over time without affecting the functionality and its fairly trivial anyhow. Regarding 2), this takes some consideration in the initial setup, but again can be tweaked over time. I imagine that it would be desirable to do something similar to 3) such that forum login and wiki login would be the same. I haven't had a good chance to look into the technical feasibility of this, although from past experience will similar systems it's usually not too much of a drama.

So getting a basic system up and running is pretty easy, tying it into an existing environment takes a bit more work but isn't a huge issue.

Anyway its great to hear interest from the guys in charge. I'll leave you to have a play with it yourself in a sandbox environment, but if you want a hand with anything drop me an email or a PM, I'm fairly handy with a handful (no pun) of technologies.