Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Key for My VR???

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
Original VR keys have replaceable batteries, as has been mentioned before.

if you are really that tight for cash you have to crack open a key & solder stuff to it, go for it, just dont sook & carry on when it lets you down at 3 am on a rainy night & you have to get it towed to a dealer to get a new key done.
someone once said that one of the electronics supply places has the batteries with the tabs on them, if this helps in your quest to save $90 by spending a couple of hours messing around "repairing" your key

Rob

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
I have a heap of the batteries for the keys. For $10 I will sell you a new battery, which you can install for yourself if you're handy with a soldering iron, or if you send me the key, I will do it for you. The only problem is re-joining the key. You really need the little double sided 'stickers' (stickers isnt the right word, but if you have the key open, you'll know what i mean) holden use. You can use glue, but you need a glue that will hold it tight, but can be pulled apart if you ever want to pull it apart again.

hold-on

Reaction score
Website
www.fusiongraphics.co.nz
Members Ride
2005 SV6
I dont see the harm in soldering on a new battery dr bob exspecially if you have two keys to begin with, may as well salavge one or experiment... I could think of allot better things to do with the $90 I have saved. I would rather spend it on maintaining my vehicle than the key

hold-on

Reaction score
Website
www.fusiongraphics.co.nz
Members Ride
2005 SV6
if I had to spend $90 on a key I would, But I like experimenting,,,, if we all paid pros all the time we probably would not have signed up on just commodores???

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
im not saying its a bad thing doing this sort of thing, the bad part is if it all ends in tears when the key fails at 3am on a rainy night & you are stranded somewhere, then complain loudly at the cost of getting it towed to a dealer to get a key programmed.
not all people complain but its more than likely the person who wouldnt spend the $90 initially is more likely to be unhappy about the cost later.

Rob

9C1pack

Reaction score
I paid $72 for a new VS blade and programmed head by a Bendigo locksmith, took him 10 mins, all he needed was a blade and working head to get the security code from.
Poyser holden Bendigo want $30 to tell me the radio, key and security codes, bit rich I thought.

seveprim

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
Just ring holden head office they will give you the codes once they confirm a few details with you. By law they got to give you the codes otherwise it comes into a monolpoy type thing (fair trading) prohibits that sort of behaviour. I rang for codes a few years ago and it was free then.