Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New key?

mirrabucca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pack (Devil Yellow)
Very timely thread. Thanks to all that contributed.
Just a quick question:
How long does the battery usually last on these, given say, 2 - 6 lock/unlock cycles per day (about average).
I have had my VX since almost new (17,000 k's) and I haven't had a problem (except both fobs have had new buttons), and both fobs are the originals.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Also depends how long the keys have been sitting on the stand/shelf for,

If they are OEM Key Heads, Probably will last 10+ years.

Cheap After Market Chinese Crap take offs, probably after the Warranty finish's I am guessing,

I had to program in a pair of OEM replacements for a customer that were aftermarkets that were 3 years old.

Last edited:

mirrabucca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pack (Devil Yellow)
Also depends how long the keys have been sitting on the stand/shelf for,

If they are OEM Key Heads, Probably 10 years.

Cheap After Market Chinese Crap take offs, probably after the Warranty finish's I am guessing,

I had to program in a pair of OEM replacements for a customer that were aftermarkets that were 3 years old.
Thanks for the reply. That takes my question two ways. If anyone buys an OEM key now, unless the batteries have a long shelf life, they will have a very limited life (assuming made 20-odd years ago). Or were they still being made more recently?)
Notwithstanding the above, my 20 years' life seems lucky to say the least! Methinks replacing the batteries would be the answer.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
20 years of life is exceptional, and very lucky, and they will last that long if not abused.

Very unlikely the OEM Key Heads would have been sitting around for too long,
keeping in mind they suited VR [1995] to VZ [up to 2007] [Aus Models], and the exported Cars to other parts of the world,
ie: USA being a Chev. not sure of the what the other models descriptions are.

I would think the OEM Key Heads are still being made in the Philippines, as they are still available,
I guess if they are on a good thing, they will probably stick with it. [manufacturing and selling, supply and demand]
As an example, it was approx. 2 years ago I replaced the 2 Key Heads of my VY, only because one started playing up, the other one, the buttons had perished and were cracked, and was more worried if the Key got dropped in a puddle or got wet some how, we would be stranded being unable to open the car normally, as they were the original Key Heads from original [1st] owner who had the car from 2002 > 2005,
In 2005 is when we purchased the car, as it was still immaculate, and still is.
The original owner [Husband of school friend of my wife from the 60's & 70's] was a Rep and on the road, and in and out of the car 5 days a week, and travelled around Victoria to see friends and relatives on some weekends,
again in and out of the car, so they would of been used well, and well used,
Which equates to approx. 15 year service life, which shows the OEM Key Heads stand the test of time.

So $50 to replace a OEM Key Head is a better option than a $25 > $30 knock off that will probably fail or fall apart and have to be replaced after a few years,
you will then probably need to purchase another one, so you have paid twice for the same item.
And the chances of a knock off failing at the most inconvenient time, shopping, weekend cruise, or out the BFN.

Moral of the story: Pay a bit extra, so you only have to Pay Once.

Last edited:

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
until recently holden would still have had manufacturers making common spare parts
i wouldn't think they made a spare million remotes in 2005 and are slowly using them up
those people that try to fit batteries to oem remotes, reminds me of the guy who slipped with the stanley knife trying to open his oem remote
from memory 10 stitches across his palm and just avoided tendon damage

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
until recently holden would still have had manufacturers making common spare parts
i wouldn't think they made a spare million remotes in 2005 and are slowly using them up
those people that try to fit batteries to oem remotes, reminds me of the guy who slipped with the stanley knife trying to open his oem remote
from memory 10 stitches across his palm and just avoided tendon damage
LOL, I have replaced the battery in my remote twice now and not a stitch, not even a small nick.

On another note, I did a ring around this week and found the following prices.
Local Holden $195 fully set up
Superthief $75+about $65 for the coder
Local locksmith where I got the second remote from about 6 years ago $100 fully set up.

Reactions: Lex