Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Motor from Higgin-bottom

mainpath

Reaction score
Website
www.applecollector.com
Members Ride
04 VZ Exec, HX Kingswood, VB Comm
Hey all,

I've been recommended to get a new motor for my Kingswood from the good old people of Higgin-bottom, so i've booked my baby in for a heart transplant this friday, should be ready for next week, and then comes the fun of finishing her off and writing up a sweet as report / step by step of how I restored her spray can style ;-)

The Motor cost me $2475
Deposit of $1560
3 day to get engine / 3 days to install.

12mths / 20,000km warranty.

Also does anyone know a place in sydney that will redo the door cards of the HX?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Mainpath

I hope Higginbotham's have improved their rebuilding techniques since my old man had a recond 186 installed by them in his HR in the early 80's. The new engine never seemed to have much go in it, and never felt like a new engine. After a few years use, I replaced the cylinder head with a Yella Terra. When I pulled the old head off and stripped it down, I found that H/B's used shims to tension up tired valve springs, rather than installing new springs. Three or four had a shim under them, about 60 thou thick and one spring had double shims. Seemed pretty cheap and nasty to me - I reckon "rebuilt" means new rings, bearings and other high-wear components, like valve springs, but obviously, back then, it didn't.

I have to assume they don't do that any more, but it turned me off ever using them again.

mainpath

Reaction score
Website
www.applecollector.com
Members Ride
04 VZ Exec, HX Kingswood, VB Comm
Hey Calaber,

Where I'm buying it from they seem genuine but who knows.
I've been quoted 3k + from other places, apparently they have to order the motors in from the warehouse
interstate, I do understand your point and I agree it would have put me off too, then again the 186 wasn't a really good engine, neither is the 202 butt lol that being said...
You would expect that you get good craftsmanship for $2.5k.

The engine I have currently still has get up and go but all the seals are gone, it's pissing oil from every angle.
and at 289,200 original km's time to change.

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
You would be better off getting your engine reconditioned so you keep the original engine number if it is still the original one. The motors in the old Kingswoods normally only lasted 160000Ks