Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New number plate installation

Vf2_driver

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series 2 my12 SS commodore
Hi everyone, I just got my personalised plates and I'm hoping for some advice, can anyone recommend good anti theft screws to use? Not just the generic police stayed ones.... also would anyone recommend number plate covers/protectors and which ones? Altrex etc? I've never used them but don't know if they let moisture or dirt in? Are they useless? Thx

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
I used the Altrex ones on my FG daily. No problems with them, seem to seal up quite well.
I got the ones with the thin black lines, I like the overall look better than just plain ones.
Pic below isn’t the greatest but the black lines are not overdone.
IMG_2685.jpeg

Vf2_driver

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series 2 my12 SS commodore
Looks great! Thx for the reply. Was it the swivel clip one? You had to take the plate off to apply it?

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
Yes the swivel clip ones, I think from memory I put a small spacer behind the plate on each screw so it would create enough of a gap between the bar and the plate. Needs a little bit of pressure to close, it’s nice and tight.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Why not some 316 Stainless security torx screws?

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Any screw can be removed but it’s about making yours a more difficult target than the guy down the road.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Any screw can be removed but it’s about making yours a more difficult target than the guy down the road.
But if the screw moved you will need the screw mover that is designed for that screw to, screw the **** back in.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
What? How is it different to any other screw? They are just coming out. They are screwed into the plastic and there is a fair bit of grab.

It’s not we are seeing number plates all over the road from screws coming loose.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
If you can reach in behind the bumper where the number plate is mounted, consider using pop rivets, but you’ll need to be able to install an appropriate sized washer (preferably a broad ‘mudguard washer’) behind the bumper to prevent the river from pulling through the plastic bumper. Removal will require drilling out the rivets.