Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New or used power steering rack replacement ?

Chapman2233

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
I've been told by my mechanic that my power steering rack is leaking and will need to be replaced and he told me $600 for a new one installed, but since I just spent $700 odd on a service and handbrake work I don't wanna spend that much again, but I've found a guy who can do a used one supplied and fitted for $250.

Do these figures sound right kt anyone and should I being going for mainly new parts ?

lowndes8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
Would never buy used as how do you know what the condition is, it could leak in 5,000 to 10,000 km then you have to do it all over again

I would get new or a re-conditioned one

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Remember the steering on your car is a pretty important and vital component. Don't take any chances by skimping on costs. Have a look on eBay. Reconditioned units @ $200.00 new @ $250.00 steering rack vz commodore | eBay

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
If you can afford new, of course that would be the better option. If the used one is in good condition, then I don't see a problem with that. Go with what you are comfortably able to afford. I would go reconditioned myself.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I just had a look on eBay and there are brand new racks from $250 (non variable steering type and non genuine) and reco racks from $200.

They aren't that hard to install so labour shouldn't be that much. Just remember to get a wheel alignment afterwards.

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
If you do it yourself (easy job) just read the warning below, you can easily stuff the clock spring!

loopie

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
If you do it yourself (easy job) just read the warning below, you can easily stuff the clock spring!

ive never done a vz,, but plenty off other cars how the #### does it have too doo with the clock spring,,,????? rack is under the car clock spring in the car behind the steering wheel... un bolt from the drag link steering link

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
ive never done a vz,, but plenty off other cars how the #### does it have too doo with the clock spring,,,????? rack is under the car clock spring in the car behind the steering wheel... un bolt from the drag link steering link

Did you read the warning from the manual?

If someone hops in the car and spins the steering wheel when the rack is disconnected there is no left/right stop and bang goes the clock spring. A classic case is when a kid reaches in through the window or hops in and spins it.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Even when fitting the rack, moving the coupling around can spin the wheel and stuff the clock spring. Best thing to do is pull the key out so the steering wheel is locked.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Even when fitting the rack, moving the coupling around can spin the wheel and stuff the clock spring. Best thing to do is pull the key out so the steering wheel is locked.

Replaced my rack the other month. I pulled my seat belt through the steering wheel and clicked it up. Then I knew it could not spin.