Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Owner.... Petrol Fumes while driving.

AmericanGuyInAUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ute VS
Hello!
kSW39H4jzsd9jvj_Z2K_dFvzQxl9V3I7XQ6hJgCgWNeF4nSyXBQ37_6_wCwAgL7j6putlQ=s143

I bought a flooded 1997 Holden Ute S 3.8 for $250 and fixed it up (only the floor got wet). I took the entire interior out was pressure washed it with a gurney and replaced the carpet padding and headliner. Everything works great except for one minor problem.

When I drive down the road I can small Petrol Fumes that can be quite strong. Only when I'm driving. There are no fuel leaks. Tank, Lines, Injectors all dry. The charcoal canister has hoses going into it and they are intact.

I know the fuel pressure regulators used to be common problem. I took the vacuum line off of the regular and its dry but I can small a fuel odor but does not seem strong enough to notice while driving.

What am I missing?

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Have you looked where the fuel tank is for the vapour line (the one that is like the air return for the fuel tank when filling it up)

It may have a split in it.
If so because the only other way out is through inspection holes into the cabin you may get the fuel vapour coming in that way.

Happened to me, strong as fuel smell, checked that line and it had the smallest split right near the filler end.

AmericanGuyInAUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ute VS
I did not check that. THanks for the head up! Will check as soon as it stops raining! UGH!!!

jeepster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Ute
Have you looked where the fuel tank is for the vapour line (the one that is like the air return for the fuel tank when filling it up)

It may have a split in it.
If so because the only other way out is through inspection holes into the cabin you may get the fuel vapour coming in that way.

Happened to me, strong as fuel smell, checked that line and it had the smallest split right near the filler end.
Yes breather hose is most common failure, it goes brittle after 20 years. Next would be the pump out hose. Return hose rarely fails. Also since the pump goes in the side of the tank, gasket can leak unless the 5 bolts are done up just right. If you take off the inspection plate behing the seat, you should be able to feel around that area.

AmericanGuyInAUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ute VS
Jeepster and Drawnite were 100% correct! Those two are like ancient Holden Ute ninjas who studied the secrets of the Commordore in Ancient Queensland. THanks again!