Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

new p-plate laws (VIC)

lowrida56

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 5ltr
did anyone read page 3 of the herald sun yesterday?

it had all these new laws there bringing in for p-platers.

does anybody know when these come into affect?

Last edited by a moderator:
B

blitzem

yerp, i read it as well. how much does that suck for us in VIC,

For people who didnt read it, i got this for ya.

YOUNG drivers will spend an extra 18 months on training wheels and lose their hands-free mobiles under sweeping reforms to stop youth road carnage.
Mum's call to protect passengers

The measures aimed at L and P-platers will save 12 young lives every year and prevent 800 crashes, according to the State Government.
Time spent on learner and probation plates will stretch from 3.5 to 5 years for some drivers and even longer for those who break the law.

Reforms include:

A DOUBLING of the minimum L-plate period from six months to a year.

A NEW P1 and P2 two-stage probationary period lasting four years, up from three, and involving a minimum of 120 hours driver training.

ROAD offences instantly adding another six months to the probation period and sending P1 drivers back to the start of their 12-month training.

P-PLATERS nabbed with a blood alcohol reading to have breath interlocks fitted to their cars for at least six months.

EXTENDING the ban on mobile phones to hands-free phones for all P1 drivers.

LEARNERS will have to provide a log of 120 hours, signed off by parents or supervisors.

A TOUGHER driving test before drivers can obtain a full licence.

SUPERCHARGED and turbocharged cars and all hotted-up engines to join V8s on the forbidden list for P-platers.

The traditional red P plate will represent the P1 stage, with a white P on a green square for P2 drivers.

A P1 driver caught using a hands-free mobile will be slapped with three demerit points and a $140 fine.

Premier Steve Bracks said the reforms would save lives.

"This will save families from the devastation of losing a son or a daughter," he said.

But some teens were hostile to the changes.

Michael Brady, 19, of Macleod, labelled them ridiculous.

"I think people will be angry. Getting more time on probation in the first place is just stupid," he said.

"It should be harder to get your licence -- but once you've got it, you've got it and that's it.

"Targeting young drivers for no good reason is just crap and doesn't make it safer on the road for anyone."

But some road authorities were unhappy the changes did not go far enough, neglecting night driving curfews and bans on carrying more than one passenger.

The RACV praised the crackdown but was disappointed a ban on carrying more than one passenger was missing.

"We're not saying you can't carry grandma to the shops. The interesting thing is young people are telling us they want (passenger limits)," spokesman Dr Ken Ogden said.

The laws will be rolled out over the next two years.

Andd a pic for the lazy ones.
pplategraphic.jpg

Hope this helps, Phil

Jimboss

Reaction score
Ouch, i feel sorry for anyone who has to undergo that kind of learning regime.

Good 'ole ACT, no dodgy P1 or P2's, just your P's for 3 years, then straight to Full licence ... I love it. Plus the only restriction we have is the 0.02 BAC limit.

=Calais v8=

Holden Tech Apprentice
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII 5.0L Calais, 13b ae71
meh! this is getting rediculous. next we will have to drive old VW beetles with 40kp/h speed limiters, and only drive between 12pm and 12.30pm.

killuminati

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS Vacationer
Yeh i heard this on the news the other night, it better not affect me, coz i am due off my p-playes may next year. i wont want to be on em another year

crazyspoon05

Penguin Whisperer
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VW Golf GTI (RIP The 'Bizta' VNVPVR Wagz)
While I feel sorry for anyone having to go through all of this to get a licence now I think it should have been done years ago to weed out the morons who got their licence without having to prove they can handle a car in all conditions..

Mr Robbo - The General

Defect Notice Attractor
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II Statesman 5L
NSW have had this scheme for a while. or one very similar. it really is ridiculous. im a P1 driver. in nsw we dont get longer prob. time for penalties but we have the two stage p plate thing. cant drive v8's super or turbo cars. bs 100%. It really is stupid. the latest thing here in NSW is L platers will have their l plates for 2 years. Thats really is stupid, L platers learn how to drive, the mechanics of the car. personally i can say that i learnt most about driving on my p plates. We need to put a stop to this **** across the nation. What happend to freedom of choice? What if i choose to drive a V8? Ultimatly 1. It comes down to the driver if they can or not, and 2. Its not up to the parents of the kids what they can and cant do in a car. P platers make their own choices. Lol its stupid, Rice car loving pricks. Oh and GUESS WHAT: there is a fee and a test between every single stage of your licence, of which you pay for both licence renewal and a test. ... and if you fail you pay again. but i mean its "SO" not about the government getting a huge cut and laughing all the way to the bank at all... its about "saving lifes and listening to what people want" ........ Ever had a politician do ANYTHING for you?

VX_GIANTZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VX Equipe
i dont think it will affect anyone who already has their p's. but it doesnt give and exact date to when these laws come in so most of the vic p's would be fine.

Charg'd

Reaction score
Members Ride
ford
i agree with all of these new rules, but i dont agree agree that people who have thier p's already should be affected. Because as it says there turbo & supercharged car are excluded now, which would mean i cant drive my car anymore, & ****ed if ill be selling it, It should come into effect so that people who gets licenses after a certain date will be affected

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
Mr Robbo - The General said:
NSW have had this scheme for a while. or one very similar. it really is ridiculous. im a P1 driver. in nsw we dont get longer prob. time for penalties but we have the two stage p plate thing. cant drive v8's super or turbo cars. bs 100%. It really is stupid. the latest thing here in NSW is L platers will have their l plates for 2 years. Thats really is stupid, L platers learn how to drive, the mechanics of the car. personally i can say that i learnt most about driving on my p plates. We need to put a stop to this **** across the nation. What happend to freedom of choice? What if i choose to drive a V8? Ultimatly 1. It comes down to the driver if they can or not, and 2. Its not up to the parents of the kids what they can and cant do in a car. P platers make their own choices. Lol its stupid, Rice car loving pricks. Oh and GUESS WHAT: there is a fee and a test between every single stage of your licence, of which you pay for both licence renewal and a test. ... and if you fail you pay again. but i mean its "SO" not about the government getting a huge cut and laughing all the way to the bank at all... its about "saving lifes and listening to what people want" ........ Ever had a politician do ANYTHING for you?

Spoken like a true P plater!!!
Its all been put into force for a reason. . . . .:hit: