Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New pioneer head unit - problems with old stock unit

thejdizzle015

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Pack Ute
I just recently purchased a standard sized DIN pioneer head unit, however im not too sure on which cables need to come out of the back of the original commodore one... its really confused me, as someone told me that i need to have certain cables taken out, to enable the dash and steering wheel controls to continue working ....

Anyone know a simple way of doing this with photos or diagrams on how to connect this new head unit up?

VY_utester

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY executive ute s1
Since your in sydney id drop the guys at RYDA car audioa line and see what they have to say. Theyve got pretty much everything and i think you can get an interface adaptor to get the original steering wheel controls to work with the new unit, tho im not 100% sure.

I do know pioneer make a setup using a little remote control mounted to the steering wheel, but thats only an option if you want to remove the OEM controls
Ryda Car Audio - Pioneer Car Audio CD-SR100 Steering Remote($84.85)

cewing

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SWAGON
Obviously you'd be using a wiring harness for the power and sound etc. For the steering controls theres plenty of IR based options where u have to drill holes in your cabin to mount it ETC, i reckon thats silly. Assuming your headunit has a 3.5mm jack hole for a remote wire, (my pioneer does) theres a very good option.
For the steering wheel controls you can buy a device called a PAC SWI PS. It works with all pioneer and sony decks. You can say goodbye to your instrument cluster integration.
Ebay it, you can buy it from america for about $80 and wait, or get it locally like i just did for about $170. Very worthwhile.

All you have to do is plug it in there, and connect the RED wire up to a switched 12v source, black to ground, and the white wire to pin C11 just above your wiring harness. C12 you need to ground. I just hacked the wires off the back of the wiring harness(but leave more length than i did to re connect them later!!!) See the link to know what i mean. Your power and sound wiring harness covers the areas where the A and B pins are.

Pac-audio.com Steering Wheel Interface | iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future

It has some simple programming steps (easier than i thought) and you're away. Just shove the pac device behind where the cupholders or where ever behind the dash and your done!

If you decide to do it and get stuck gimme a buzz. I only had the confidence to do it because another JC member helped me.

thejdizzle015

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Pack Ute
okaay excellent! thanks so much guys, your a great help... yeh i bought the unit at RYDA and the bloke had to help me take out the stock one cause of the blaupunkt tool hahaha, that was a real bitch... im just trying to find a star driver cause commodore units are done up with them... once i get the tools to undo it and stuff i will give you an email or something.. cheers