Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New radiator cap: blown hose.

wheb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Ecotech 2000
Hey all. Switched out my water pump, heater tap and radiator cap last week. Tonight was the first drive I've had where the engine temp would have got high. No overheat warning but when I pulled up there was steam pouring out from under the hood. Bottom radiator hose is split up near the engine entry.

My question is could this timing just be coincidence or is it likely the new rad cap is resulting in a higher pressure?
Should I be expecting other things to go wrong also?

Regards!

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
It's quite common for things like this to happen after putting new parts on a cooling system mixed with old parts. Fingers crossed the problem was just that old hose was already shagged and the pressure from the new cap blew it apart.
I would replace the hose and then monitor the pressure next time you drive it. Once all the old parts are replaced the system should be good for a few years touch wood.

wheb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Ecotech 2000
It's quite common for things like this to happen after putting new parts on a cooling system mixed with old parts. Fingers crossed the problem was just that old hose was already shagged and the pressure from the new cap blew it apart.
I would replace the hose and then monitor the pressure next time you drive it. Once all the old parts are replaced the system should be good for a few years touch wood.
Thanks for the response. I'm leaning towards just replacing the other rad hose while i'm at it along with the thermostat. I live alone so getting down to super cheap/repco can be a pain when things like this happen. Heater hose little less problematic if it does go and the only thing left is the radiator itself. Seriously expecting that to go soon to be honest!

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Thanks for the response. I'm leaning towards just replacing the other rad hose while i'm at it along with the thermostat. I live alone so getting down to super cheap/repco can be a pain when things like this happen. Heater hose little less problematic if it does go and the only thing left is the radiator itself. Seriously expecting that to go soon to be honest!
sounds like your thermo didn't open or stuck or cactus or your radiator has a block, issues seems to be pressure build up either from blockage or heaven to bid not engine compression, especially given you drove in winter temps, imgaine if it was 40C and/or you used the a/c, hopefully its just a dodgy thermo opening. :)

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I personally think thermostats get a lot of blame for nothing as they rarely actually fail but get replaced on suspicion quite often. But yeah, since you already had a couple of failures it's a good idea and easy job on the old motors. See how it goes after that and keep checking everything for leaks now you are running at full pressure!

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Did you bleed it correctly air in the system can cause a airlock preventing a proper fill which could of heated up your engine quick. Your engine holds 12L but you never get it all in as some will stay in the block.

Last edited:

wheb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Ecotech 2000
Did you bleed it correctly air in the system can cause a airlock preventing a proper fill which could of heated up your engine quick. Your engine holds 12L but you never get it all in as some will stay in the block.
Yep bled it correctly. Hopefully just a dodgy thermostat or old hose. I've never changed either.

wheb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Ecotech 2000
sounds like your thermo didn't open or stuck or cactus or your radiator has a block, issues seems to be pressure build up either from blockage or heaven to bid not engine compression, especially given you drove in winter temps, imgaine if it was 40C and/or you used the a/c, hopefully its just a dodgy thermo opening. :)
Yeah hoping a new thermo and hoses will do the trick. It's been a solid car but it's not worth spending any considerable amounts of money on. I've never swapped the hoses so there's a reasonable chance they've just deteriorated a bit.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
get radiator shop to run pressure test
check for possible head/lim gasket failure

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
get radiator shop to run pressure test
check for possible head/lim gasket failure
If the engine has either of those issues he's going to find out soon enough just by driving it :) ;)