Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Redline Advice - Running In and Fuel RON

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I’ll also quote what Holden has to say in the Owner’s Handbook.

Recommended Fuel

Unleaded petrol

Use unleaded petrol of 91 Research Octane Number (RON) rating or higher.

The use of premium unleaded petrol (95 RON or higher) in 3.6L and 6.2L engines may provide a small improvement in performance and fuel economy.

The use of premium unleaded petrol (95 RON or higher) in the 6.2L V8 engine is recommended.

Purchasing your fuel from a reputable fuel retailer may reduce the risk of purchasing fuel which contains abnormal fuel properties.

Caution

Use of fuel with too low an octane rating could lead to uncontrolled combustion and engine damage.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Unless you experience pinging and pre-detonation of the fuel, the lower octane won't affect the performance of your car.

If you run a low octane petrol in a car with a high compression ratio (other things such as timing, piston/head design will also play a big part) and the engine experiences pre-detonation it will revert to another tune that changes the timing and other parameters to prevent this pre-detonation. That is why you may experience reduced performance.
You wouldn't actually know it was happening with something as new as a VF, would you?
It'll ping a few times, which you won't hear over road noise, and the knock-sensor will dial things back before you even know it's happening.
You'd need to be plugged into something like an ODB2 reader (I assume that knock-sensor data would be passed on?) to know what was going on wouldn't you?

crew_man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 Reserve Edition Sportwagon
You wouldn't actually know it was happening with something as new as a VF, would you?
It'll ping a few times, which you won't hear over road noise, and the knock-sensor will dial things back before you even know it's happening.
You'd need to be plugged into something like an ODB2 reader (I assume that knock-sensor data would be passed on?) to know what was going on wouldn't you?

You will notice that you have noticeably less power, as the vehicle will revert to a much safer tune to prevent knocking.

The car has it's base tune, then a low octane tune with nothing in between so it is quite noticeable. It doesn't keep revising the tune until you are getting the most power without knocking

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
My point was that, if they're saying 98 will give you slightly more power, it's tuned for 98 and anything less is pulling the timing back ... except you won't know about it except for having less grunt. No?

crew_man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 Reserve Edition Sportwagon
My point was that, if they're saying 98 will give you slightly more power, it's tuned for 98 and anything less is pulling the timing back ... except you won't know about it except for having less grunt. No?

Pretty much, but the lower grunt will be quite noticeable, as the low octane tune is a safe tune that is unable to extract as much power as the base tune

Harli

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
I checked the Holden Brochure. Next to the 304kw power output for the V8 there is an asterisk

* Figure quoted using 98 RON (PULP)

Make of that what you will.