Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Ride - Silver VZ Calais

phatsix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais
Cheers for the comments lads im absolutely loving it so far. havent stopped driving since tuesday.
it has quite a bit of poke for a v6! its so much more refined than the VY ecotec. has a really nice tone and the 5 speed seems to be spot on every time.

Hey mate! nice pic up there! car looks super straight and tidy! I LOVE that first pic you took, what camera are you using? The tanker in the background makes for an awesome composition! Love it. What's your overall goal with the car? you mentioned lowering etc, but are you after keeping it luxury (and therefore soft susp etc) or you just want it to look good?

good pick up again bud

cheers mate using a Canon 30D with 10-22mm wide angle in these pics, but upgrading to a 7D soon!
It was pure luck having the tanker there. Just saw it coming into port so quickly whipped out the camera.

Thinking of maybe lowering the car a little bit in the future but i want it to still be luxurious and comfortable.
Other than that, i might do a few engine mods to improve economy and power, but pretty much want to keep it the way it is!

Welcome to the Calais Club haha Same as mine except BONE LEATHER!! same as hingo's ahaha.

Shuld get 5% tint and with the cai just do the 2 hole mod

Great pickup and nice pics love the first pic!!

always wanted to be part of the calais club haha.
i think the tint is good the way it is, its already pretty dark. maybe later down the track when i have more coins.

planning to do the 2 hole mod this w.e so ill show you how it goes.

showxpony

Reaction score
Members Ride
Redline SSV
Wow. The 7Ds are expensive haha. I'm using a 450D at the moment, and from my experience Canon seems to be the way to go! The photos came up awesome anyway. The first pic almost looks like it's a fish eye shot. Good work again. Be careful when you do go to lower the car, stay clear of any spring thats HD, because they're WAY too hard. Ive lowered mine about 3 inches and the ride is a lot harsher then previously. But i like it that way :) but i've gone through 4 different sets of springs, all different stiffness, and HDs are definately not luxury haha, something to keep in mind. Keep us up to date with mods!

phatsix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais
@showxpony
canons are like holdens - everyone likes em, theyre user friendly and they look the best. nikons are like fords - pieces of **** that always break and only a select few think they actually look good. cant wait for the 7d.

anyways is my car worth lowering or will it compromise the comfort and luxury too much?

showxpony

Reaction score
Members Ride
Redline SSV
anyways is my car worth lowering or will it compromise the comfort and luxury too much?

I'll rephrase that for you... "anyways, my car being lowered will compromise the comfort and luxury too much" haha. At the minute, i'm running Ultra lows up front, and Super Super Lows at the back. Which is very low. This being my 5th spring change, i've felt firm/hard all the way to soft. With the current springs, none are HD, which means theyre not harsh. Its low as all hell, but the ride is pretty good. Imo, no luxury is taken away because the interior is so comfortable. And for me, comfort has improved because the car doesn't roll around corners like a boat anymore. And the roll annoys me more then it being a bit firmer over the bumps. I rekon, if you put Ultra lows all round, being KHFL47SL and KHRL46SL, and keep 17" or 18" wheels on it, the ride would be pretty good. Put a spring with HD and 19 or 20" rims, then you'll have a very harsh ride. But if it feeling a bit firmer doesn't bother you, its the best mod i've done so far.

jake383

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 hbd vz calais
hhey buddy nice car. as for lowering it, it souunds like show pony has found a good set uup. my calais has ultra lows all round with standard shocks and 19s and it rides fair terable. i am yet to buy shortend shocks to see if that improves it. as for engine mods i ahve been lookin at manifold spacers and air hammer intake. any wayy keep up the good work

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
Nice tidy and clean Calais.
If you like the ride think hard before lowering it as the ride will firm up.
The Calais usually have Holden FE 1 1/2 suspension which is similar to FE 2 but a little softer.
If you want to keep the soft ride but want a little better handing fit some Whiteline Heavy duty adjustable sway bars front and back.