Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New rip shifter feels too tight

soleit

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE SS-V
Just had the rip shifter installed yesterday into my 09 wagon and the gears feel too tight and feels like I got to just about force it into 5th and at times it's like 6th doesn't even exist unless I go hunting and slamming while hoping I don't whack it into 4th while doing 120.

Has the mechanic messed something up or is it just me getting used to it and sounding like a pussy?

I asked the mechanic if he's installed theses before when I booked it in and he assured me he had. When I picked it back up he was saying how hard it was and surprised how much had to be done to install a rip shift. Wasn't very comforting hearing that after being told of course he's installed them before.

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
A short shifter will take more force to move that the standard shifter.

NU13

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 E1 HSV GTS Manual
As Immortality states it will take time to free up. My Cube Speed short shifter was a bitch uptil it freed up which was about two weeks. If you really want to free up your box and make shifting a breeze put some Penrite Pro gear in as well.

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
It will loosen up after a while. I had to drive ~400km home when I had a rip shifter installed and it was a pita the whole way.

soleit

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE SS-V
Ok, good to know it'll settle after a while. Thanks heaps guys :beer chug:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Treat it like a virgin.........

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Just had the rip shiver installed yesterday into my 09 wagon and the gears feel too tight and feels like I got to just about force it into 5th and at times it's like 6th doesn't even exist unless I go hunting and slamming while hoping I don't whack it into 4th while doing 120.

Has the mechanic messed something up or is it just me getting used to it and sounding like a pussy?

I asked the mechanic if he's installed theses before when I booked it in and he assured me he had. When I picked it back up he was saying how hard it was and surprised how much had to be done to install a rip shift. Wasn't very comforting hearing that after being told of course he's installed them before.

Make sure the grub screws are adjusted properly. That said, if they are wound in too far it will jump out of gear. Rippers are supposed to be tight and precise.

Mike Litherous

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ssv
Can u adjust the length of the stick. If so this will make it feel better when brand new.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Did you get the short shift version though? I've driven a VE with a fresh RipShifter (stock stick) and it was amazing. They have to be adjusted correctly, something smells wrong dude.