Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New shocks/springs

Kirbs454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 1 Redline
G'day all,

Looking at doing shocks/spring upgrade to my wagon. Trying to give it a freshen up as she's an 09 model.

I've found this kit on Planetparts. Its advertised as a 'Genuine Walkinshaw kit'. It has new Bilstein shocks front and rear, with WP lowered springs, sway bar and bushes. Link is below.

https://www.planetparts.com.au/holden-ve-commodore-ute-wagon-performance-suspensi

My question is, what do you guys reckon on this kit, worth it? As all i want to do is give it a freshen up.

Cheers,
Kirbs

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
I don't think that kit is for a wagon. Also value is about the same as the sum of its parts, no deal.

Kirbs454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 1 Redline
Fair enough. What would you do? If you were in my shoes. Just trying to get ideas at the moment.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Well I went the Bilsteins and made it too stiff, changed springs to Kings progressive for wagon but sat too low and stiff. Swapped shocks for Koni FSD and rear HD Normal Kings Springs (not low even). But I use the boot space for gear and batteries and amps etc., and drive a lot.

davekell

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 calais ve sportswagon
I was in exactly the same position as you. I have a 2010 calais wagon, 85 km on the clock and also wanted to freshen it up. I purchased KYB shocks, bump stops and strut top bushings. My spend was $470.
I fitted them myself this Saturday morning. I should stress that I am a man of very average mechanical talent. There are many helpful videos on youtube or through autoinstruct.
I live in rural NSW and did 500 km on sunday, what a difference. Much more planted, all wallow has gone, feels tighter, steers better. Money well spent. Hope this helps.

adclawrence

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Calais 3.6
I kept the factory FE2 springs on my '06 Calais sedan but changed the factory shocks out for KYB Excel Gs (lowered version for FE2) and what a difference. Got the strut top bushings replaced as well, drives a lot tighter and quieter.