Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New speakers for rear doors

Conzo97

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Hey all,

Just noticed the rear right speaker in my 2010 omega wagon wasn't working. Took the speaker out and noticed the terminal is completely corroded and one wire had failed. I decided to cut the wiring loom off. After checking the left speaker, it's also severely corroded but both wires are still connected.

Should I be changing both speakers or can I get the speaker going again? If I replace does anyone know any decent cheapish speakers? The stock ones were 20W 4ohm.

mtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Calais V V8
Hi Conzo97,

I did similar recently. Left rear speaker on mine stopped working. Mine were 2ohm 30w. On checking the other rear speaker it was also near kaput (working, but close to death). Same as yours, corrosion. I decided to replace all four door speakers with some cheap Alpine 4ohm coax 6.5" S-S65 (also have an Alpine head unit - See speakers here). I had to adjust for different diameters (stock 6") by using the included bracket and a few other mods. Sound is better than stock speakers in Calais - but although many say stock speakers are terrible, when working, mine were surprisingly good. If not for corrosion I was very happy with sound quality...

I would change both speakers at a minimum, and preferably all four. I also disabled stock dash tweeters (as the S-S65 is coax) and middle dash speaker. Up to you, but Alpine recommend disabling other tweeters with coax speakers (or, if your tweeters are still working fine you could get the component version of the Alpine's). Just keep the ohm's the same (different ohm's will still work, but you'll get different sound levels). You might also have trouble getting some 6" speakers that you want (i assume the 2010 models were still using 6" speakers?). They are available, I just found them harder to come by in the price range.

I also got new VE harnesses so it simplified attaching new speakers, and made my own 'hats' for the speaker out of closed-cell foam to protect the speakers from water dripping down inside the door (which I'm in the process of fixing by replacing door seals and vapor barrier).

I'm no expert in this field, and I can only assume that nothing special is needed to make aftermarket speakers work with a stock head unit assuming all else equal. Maybe ask a few other audio boffins.

Cheers

Conzo97

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega

mtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Calais V V8
This problem is actually quite common. Have a look around (on 'that' channel) and you'll find a few vids on others having this problem. I think its common with all door speakers where water/moisture is getting in. Some cars are obviously worse than others. When doing this make sure your vapour barrier is in good nick and whether any need to replace door seals. My door seals are shot, and although the vapour barriers aren't too bad I'm going to replace them too.

Yeah I would have thought those Pioneers would be OK. Probably not quite the quality of the Alpine's - only going on price here as I have no clue what these are like. The Alpines are probably a bit over-priced if truth be known, but you can get the Alpine's - just have to order them (i got mine via Autobarn). Further, they're on special for $139 as they're a 'deleted item'. Superceeded by the R series - which are a little better and also a bit more expensive...
I do however like that the Pioneers have a fairly shallow fit as you always have to be aware of the windows going up and down! I'd say the fitting depth is probably about the same as stock - and, they're not expensive! Just be sure the Pioneers come with a workable bracket solution.

In regards to fitment I can only comment on the Alpine's - not sure what comes 'in-the-box' with the Pioneers.

With the Alpine's I attached the Alpine bracket (included) to the stock GMH door speaker bracket, and the speaker to the Alpine bracket. Assuming the 2010 Omega has a similar/same speaker bracket to the 2009 Calais (i would have thought so), the Alpine bracket gives you three holes that line up with the GMH stock speaker bracket to re-attach the screws from removing the stock speaker (yes, they fit very nicely). I wasn't entirely happy with only three fixing points (although it would probably be OK) and created two more fixing points by filling in each void (small voids) behind the stock GMH bracket. The Alpine bracket has extra holes for different fittings so you can line up the three holes with the GMH stock bracket, and choose where you want to attach the extra fitting points. Take the stock bracket off and have a look behind - you'll see what I mean. I used some epoxy putty (Selleys "Knead it" is just one of the brands) to fill each void before attaching the two extra screws. Seems to work well. The bonus is you keep all the stock GMH stuff installed instead of removing the stock GMH brackets entirely, and there is no alteration to the door speaker hole. No cutting/filing etc.

I was initially more worried about the speaker not fitting between the door card (it being too wide because of the extra Alpine bracket). However it fits nicely because the Alpine bracket is only about 8-10 mm thick. I kept the stock speaker grille door covers as they are impossible to remove anyway, and why would you remove them if they're doing their job?
Cheers

Conzo97

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Thanks so much for the help! I actually checked autobarn and they have one not too far away so I might pick up those Alpines today. Just wondering, I notice the wattage is a little higher. Do you think I'll notice a lower volume if I only install them in the rear doors?

Conzo97

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Thanks so much for the help! I actually checked autobarn and they have one not too far away so I might pick up those Alpines today. Just wondering, I notice the wattage is a little higher. Do you think I'll notice a lower volume if I only install them in the rear doors?
Bought them anyway! I'll see how they go

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
A lot of it comes down to the cone size. The larger they are, the more air is pushed out. It's why your home theatre system never quite sounds as good as the one at the pub/club.

Conzo97

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
That was quick! You're obviously somewhere where they still have a few. Let me know how it goes.
Cheers
All in and they sound good! I might buy some for the front! Have you considered installing an amp to drive them?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Amp will improve sound as you can drive the speakers better while staying in the clean signal zone on the dial.