Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

new sub need help

lachie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp commodore 3.8ltr v6
gday guys i got given a cerwin-vega 12 inch woofer, at least i thik its 12 haha it puts out 96db and im not sure what kinda amp i need, i honestly dont wanna spend to much and another mate has a cheap amp for sale do they all work?
i have a pretty handy mate who will help with the install, i hope haha

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
It should "work" with almost any amp. If you can get the details of the amp your mate has then we can tell you how well it'll work and basically how to wire it up. You do know you'll need a box too?

lachie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp commodore 3.8ltr v6
yeah i figured ill just make one out of mdf, i have been told i need to insulate it as well........are there certain sizes for the box

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Whether to insulate it or not is up to you. Yes there are general sizes to stick by. Being a Cerwin Vega i assume it'll prefer a ported box. But these are harder to make and get right. If you give me the model number i can figure out a good box design and get back to you with dimensions etc.

lachie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp commodore 3.8ltr v6
good as! are they good quality subs? it says on the back xl-12d i have the serial number if that helps....052680

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
OK well i cant find too many specs on that sub, but going off the "d" at the end i would imagine its dual voice coil, does it have 4 terminals on the back of the woofer (2 +s and 2 -s)?

I reckon something along the lines of 2 cu.ft. ported will be the go. I'll get onto a box program and get back to with dimensions and what size/type of port to use.

lachie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp commodore 3.8ltr v6
yeah it has 4 , are they good qulity woofers? thanks so much mate

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
OK here you go....

Its a quick design for a ported box. 350mm High x 600mm Wide x 400mm Deep (~2.2 cu.ft. after displacement). The 4" port should be 250mm deep.

For the port, just go into your local hardware shop and get a peice of 4" drain pipe etc, just cut it down to 250mm, just the hole out of the box and slide it in. Seal it up with silicone etc and youre good to go ;)

As far as the woofers go.....their old school but not bad at all......is the surround still ok?
You'll have to let us know about the amp you wanna get too, as its dual voice coil it makes wiring it and compatible amps a little harder (for you, not me haha).

Attachments

• Box design.JPG
    Box design.JPG
    11.9 KB · Views: 336

lachie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp commodore 3.8ltr v6
thanks mate will do that box, mdf sweet?
i just want a cheap amp that will do the job, nothing pricy just on the cheap, any sugestions?

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Yep just use 16mm MDF. Make sure you seal up the joins properly too....you dont want any air leaks ;)

Have a look at brand name second hand amps on ebay....like Kenwood, Alpine, Sony, Clarion etc. Dont be tempted to buy a "powervox" or "kingwood" brand, they are crap. Heres what i found with a quick search....

This isnt a bad amp, if its not too expensive:
2X100 RMS! Jaycar Response Car Amplifier 2 Channel - eBay Amplifiers, Audio, Video, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 23-Jul-09 18:41:03 AEST)

Clarion APX1300 400watt Monoblock Amplifier - eBay Amplifiers, Audio, Video, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 23-Jul-09 19:08:16 AEST)

SOUND Stream 240 Watt amp XTA240.2 - eBay, Speakers, Audio, Electronics. (end time 25-Jul-09 15:00:59 AEST)