Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register
  1. Just Commodores will be offline at some point today (26/6/2019), moving to new hardware, downtime is unknown at this stage and very likely to be data loss as the existing data centre has the power pulled.

Dismiss Notice

New traffic laws effective 1st September 2018

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Bigfella237, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Bigfella237

Bigfella237 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    More cars than I've got space to park!
    I only saw this advertised on TV once, so thought I'd mention it here. I'm in NSW but I think the law applies nationwide, you may have to check with other states.

From 1 September 2018 motorists are required to slow down to 40km/h when passing stationary emergency vehicles displaying red or blue flashing lights.

The rule applies to vehicles travelling in both directions, unless the road is divided by a median strip.

Motorists who ignore the new speed limit will face stiff penalties, including a $448 fine and the loss of three demerit points.

Source: https://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/ne...low-down-for-flashing-lights-from-1-september

Andrew

2. vc commodore

vc commodore Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vc commodore
    Used to be 40KPH in S.A but a few years ago they dropped it to 25KPH

3. Bigfella237

Members Ride:
    Wow, and I thought getting down to 40km/h was a heavy brake application!

Say 110km/h on a freeway down to 25km/h is HUGE, you could almost argue that it would be dangerous? If some guy behind doesn't see the flashing lights because he's overtaking a truck or whatever, that'll be a big impact.

Seems like they're thinking about emergency worker's safety but they've forgotten about the other motorists, that's just gonna create more accidents.

Andrew

immortality likes this.
  4. Calaber

Calaber Nil Bastardo Carborundum

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    Slowing down at accidents, fires, rescues or road works makes sense. Slowing down from freeway speeds to 40kmh, just because a HWP car has pulled someone over, does not, particularly on multi lane freeways. This is a stupid law that needs revision. I'm waiting for the first serious accident caused by someone over-reacting, hitting the brakes hard and being slotted by the car behind.

commodore665 likes this.
  5. commodore665

commodore665 expat Saffa

Members Ride:
    2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
    It has been known to happen

6. vc commodore

Members Ride:
    vc commodore
    There is a stretch of road I head to work on that's 90KPH....2 lanes both directions, dividing fence between both directions...Emergency service vehicle opposite side of the road, on the grass verge, yet the traffic slows down to 25KPH, that is no where near the emergency vehicle.....Creates a traffic jam

Been a few hairy moments, getting punted from behind, but cross fingers hasn't happened yet.

From my driving round, generally emergency vehicles are seen for a reasonable distance to allow for a safe slow down out on the highways to prevent rear enders......ie, a hwy patrol car will pull someone over on a straight stretch of road, so they are clearly visible to all traffic.....The only way an accident could happen is if someone is day dreaming whilst driving

7. Bigfella237

Members Ride:
    I've worked my share of roadside accidents over the years and I've done the odd oversize load pilot, and some of the things you see people do would amaze you!

I reckon probably a quarter of drivers under-react, and about another quarter over-react. I'm not sure which is worse but if you create a situation where you have a combination of both types approaching the same scene, that's a recipe for disaster.

My question though is, how are police going to enforce this, will they have an officer on traffic control leave the scene to chase down and book offenders, or will they have extra police sitting at accident scenes to do this, or setup some kind of temporary speed camera?

Andrew

8. greenacc

greenacc Searching for the billion

Members Ride:
    VE Berlina
    As usual there is a little bit of common sense in this but they've gone overboard in applying it.
    There will be plenty of rear enders that's for sure. How do you tell a stationery flashing light from a moving vehicle when you first notice the flashing lights from a distance?
    Who's going to book you if you can't or don't slow down to 40 in time? Will they send extra cop cars to every incident, 2 to deal with the scene and extras to book the passing cars..

9. vc commodore

Members Ride:
    vc commodore
    They don't have extra police at the scene to chase down speeders....How they can police it, is beyond me, as I don't see extra police at the scene of an emergency/ traffic stop just for this situation.. However like most laws, they have to apply some sort of penality threat to try and get across common sense

As for flashing lights....Personally, as soon as I see flashing lights, I tend to back off the throttle, just to judge where it is located. Generally, I see people slowing down, when they come across flashing lights, as they like to gawk at the scene, rather than concentrate at what is going on around them.

10. Dayvo

Dayvo Because i can

Members Ride:
    VE SV6 Series 2
    How far before the flashing lights do you have to slow down and how far after can you resume normal speed ?

11. Noeleter

Noeleter Active Member

Members Ride:
    VEII Equipe Sportwagon
    I believe the law only applies in certain states and the details even vary from state to state with those who have implemented it.

12. afstruct

afstruct Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
    Yeah, this seams to be nsw laws. Only saw the add once as well .
    It was on all the news programs today.

13. stick3

stick3 Active Member

Members Ride:
    vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
    there was a 66 year old lady talking on radio 2hd a few weeks ago she got done in south australia earlier this year over thousand dollar fine and loss of licence for 6 months

she said the the speed limit change from 110 to 80 and notice two police cars with there flashing lights on way off the hwy on a grassy incline she said not on the shoulder and a bit further up the hwy there was policeman with radar gun he pulled her over and ask her what speed she was doing

she was towing a caravan she said when she hit the 80k zone about 83 and she knew about the 25kms passing emergency vehicles in SA
    she tried to fight it in court she said it cost her a lot of money to to get a relation there to drive her car and caravan back to nsw and she said this was her very first speeding fine
    she did say she tried other ways to fight it but in the end because of stress she just paid it
    even the DJ said she shouldive gone to a current affair

14. JMP

JMP Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VY 5.7 Berlina
    As someone else mentioned we've had the 25klm rule here in SA and personally I've never had a problem with it or seen anything more dangerous arrive from people slowing down to 25. If your out on the road and others are driving past you at 60 to 100klms it can be fairly dangerous especially with all the rubber necking that goes on when flashing lights are around and the usual inattentive drivers we are blessed with today. You have to look at it from a safety point of view for those actually outside of their car providing assistance to others, they have to be able to work with some sort of safety towards them and vehicles driving at even 60klms past them while not paying attention to the road but needing to see what is going on is bigger recipe for disaster then someone rear ending another car for once again, not paying attention.