Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New traffic laws effective 1st September 2018

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
I only saw this advertised on TV once, so thought I'd mention it here. I'm in NSW but I think the law applies nationwide, you may have to check with other states.

From 1 September 2018 motorists are required to slow down to 40km/h when passing stationary emergency vehicles displaying red or blue flashing lights.

The rule applies to vehicles travelling in both directions, unless the road is divided by a median strip.

Motorists who ignore the new speed limit will face stiff penalties, including a $448 fine and the loss of three demerit points.

Source: https://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/ne...low-down-for-flashing-lights-from-1-september

Andrew
I believe the law only applies in certain states and the details even vary from state to state with those who have implemented it.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Yeah, this seams to be nsw laws. Only saw the add once as well .
It was on all the news programs today.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
there was a 66 year old lady talking on radio 2hd a few weeks ago she got done in south australia earlier this year over thousand dollar fine and loss of licence for 6 months

she said the the speed limit change from 110 to 80 and notice two police cars with there flashing lights on way off the hwy on a grassy incline she said not on the shoulder and a bit further up the hwy there was policeman with radar gun he pulled her over and ask her what speed she was doing

she was towing a caravan she said when she hit the 80k zone about 83 and she knew about the 25kms passing emergency vehicles in SA
she tried to fight it in court she said it cost her a lot of money to to get a relation there to drive her car and caravan back to nsw and she said this was her very first speeding fine
she did say she tried other ways to fight it but in the end because of stress she just paid it
even the DJ said she shouldive gone to a current affair

JMP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Berlina
As someone else mentioned we've had the 25klm rule here in SA and personally I've never had a problem with it or seen anything more dangerous arrive from people slowing down to 25. If your out on the road and others are driving past you at 60 to 100klms it can be fairly dangerous especially with all the rubber necking that goes on when flashing lights are around and the usual inattentive drivers we are blessed with today. You have to look at it from a safety point of view for those actually outside of their car providing assistance to others, they have to be able to work with some sort of safety towards them and vehicles driving at even 60klms past them while not paying attention to the road but needing to see what is going on is bigger recipe for disaster then someone rear ending another car for once again, not paying attention.