Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Tyres on SV6

Rogues

Reaction score
Members Ride
Odyssey VE Calais
Replaced the Potenza's on mine 6000k's ago.........deliberated between F1's or SUMITOMO HTRZ's.
Bought the Sumitomo.....nice tyre, quiet, good grip in dry or wet and a good profile tyre with a wide looking stance.
Suggestion - check 'em out :thumbsup:
Cheers Rogues

*lebowski*

Reaction score
I just put a set of Kelly Charger2's on my SV6. Aussie made, but after 2000kms, I can't fault them at all. Smooth, grip like buggery in the wet, look nice on the rim and handle nicely. Obviously, I can't vouch for their durability, but I figure if I can get at least 40,000kms out of a set of tyres, them I'm doing OK.

twb1979

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 Black CDTi Astra 6sp manual
Bridgestone Tyre stores stock the Firestone Wide Oval in 235/45R17 for around the $170 mark.

I'm told these are just a 'cheaper' Bridgestone which come out of the same factory as the real mccoys.

Might be worth looking into.

Tom/WA

VZ-Rob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZS-Ute06
Holparts have these
BRIDGESTONE POTENZA TYRES RE030 235/45ZR17

$195 EA

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
SP3000 are great, but not if ur on ruff dirt roads, they get ripped apart.

But besides that they grip really well wet n dry.

They howl nicely wen u get em to spin

Rod VZ Storm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Storm ute M6
I know this is a old thread .... i knew it was here somewhere so I thought id dig it out and add to it.

I just got new tyres fitted.
I ended up going for the original Bridgestone RE030s in 235/45R17 $284 each fitted and balanced including disposal of the old tyres at a Bridgestone Tyre Centre in northern Sydney. This price factors in the $5 NRMA discount per tyre you get if you ask :)

I got 45K out of my original set with a moderate driving style + towing. 2 of them were probably ok to keep for another few thousand, but i just got all 4 done. Rather be safe than sorry.

The S03s were about $330
The G3s were about $275
There is a new (?) one called a ER300 for around $240

I very nearly went for the S03s, but the guy at the shop said its a 10year old pattern and nothing special any more. But they are still a very good tyre he said.

Ive had 15" G3's on a old company Astra before and they were a very good tyre.

Every shops often tries to push a particular tyre so i just did my own homework on-line (including googling and finding F0rd and M@gna forums !)

Jax was very good and made a couple of less biased suggestions + they pointed out Wheel5 Mag had a tyre test, so i went out and bought that. It was a good read.

twb1979

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 Black CDTi Astra 6sp manual
I have just changed my RE030's at 45,500kms, they still had a bit of tread left on except they a couple of them were worn down on the inside edges where I neglected to get a wheel alignment.

I put Toyo Teo's on at first and they were ****-house, really bad tread squirm, my worn Bridgestone's handled better. The only postive is they were much quieter on the road than the Bridgestone's.

To cut a long story short....3 days later I was back on a fresh set of Bridgestone's Potenza RE030's.....The 030's just look so good on the car and the built-in rim protector has saved scuffs on my rims.

Rod VZ storm, $284 is a very good price...I know what Tyre shops buy them in wholesale here in WA and it's more than that.

I've read about this new ER300 in catalogues, i'm interested to know if its the same tread pattern as the Turanza range.

If any of the WA members on this forum are looking for new tyres send me a PM and i'll pass you the details of a fella I went to school with who now runs his own Tyrepower.

Rod VZ Storm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Storm ute M6
Rod VZ storm, $284 is a very good price...I

KayM@rt in Sydney has them for $319 currently, so i figured that i did ok :thumbsup:

I didnt want to go thru what you did and get something cheaper... and then end up unhappy. It might have been a $800 mistake if id bought $200 tyres that i didnt like. Good that your mate runs the shop coz at least its a bit easier to swap them for you.

I think the ER300 are locally made vs Japan on the RE030's. One shop said that it accounts for some of the saving.

A bit off topic, but i got my wheel alignment done at the "no bull" place. Personally i dont trust the tyre shops to do a wheel alignment as i feel they only want to do cheap quickies. Its ok if you know them and can trust that they are doing it properly. Mr "no bull" charged $66 last year and $75 this year for a 4 wheel alignment. They adjust front and only check rears as there is not much too adjust so im told. Its cheap insurance when there is expensive rubber on the car :)

cheers
Rod

Last edited: