Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New VE Ad on TV

Jon Z

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Series 2
I think Wheels car of the year means jack squat. Ford won it a few times in the last few years.

Sales is what drives companies.

Fod has wont it a few times (the falcon for its first and only time in 2002 and the territory in 2004) doesn't really seem to boost sales, probably something to do with it being a Ford?

I think if a car is a recepient of an award the public generally tends to take much more notice hence the number of commodores you see on the road today, and hence the even more interest in the VE since the awards.

Sales drives companies but you gotta get them somehow and ford just continue to be a step behind in that one.

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
Fod has wont it a few times (the falcon for its first and only time in 2002 and the territory in 2004) doesn't really seem to boost sales, probably something to do with it being a Ford?

The Ford Falcon last won the award in 1965 and 1966 back to back, and the Ford Territory which is based on the Falcon won it in 2004. I also think it's a useless award though, the 1982 Wheels car of the year was a Holden Camira and in 2001 it was a Barina!

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
The Ford Falcon last won the award in 1965 and 1966 back to back, and the Ford Territory which is based on the Falcon won it in 2004. I also think it's a useless award though, the 1982 Wheels car of the year was a Holden Camira and in 2001 it was a Barina!

My point exactly, i mean seriously, who buys a car because it is wheels car of the year? Some of the cars that have won are a joke.

veclubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Clubsport
have to say that astra add is pretty lame. like a surfing car:rolleyes:

nothing beats the vu and vy ute adds. they where tops

yeh with the thuderstruck in the background and the utes whippin nuts in a cloud of smoke!.....oooh yeh they were sik ads hey! :w00t:

Jon Z

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Series 2
About the 65 and 66 falcon awards, back then there wasnt a commodore to compare it to so its irrelevant seeing that we are talking commodores. It may be useless but it has generated more interest in the VE according to dealers which has the potential to increase sales.

No one said people buy it because its wheels car of the year, simply it generates more interest and its up to the individual to decide if they want to buy it, i doubt the average person would buy a car because it has won an award.

veclubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Clubsport
sure i consider the wheels award to be pretty high up there hey....i think alot more people will buy the commodore over say a falcon if they can see that it's a step up from it....and this award shows that the falcon wasn't even in the top 10...lol wata abucket of crap :thumbsup:

my 2c

cheers
ryan

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
yeh with the thuderstruck in the background and the utes whippin nuts in a cloud of smoke!.....oooh yeh they were sik ads hey! :w00t:

apparntly they were taken off the air cos some people complained about it because it showed the utes doin ringies!

but tell what more aussie than that:thumbsup:

drewins

swear word
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore wagon
I believe that the "go" song is playing in the background... However the voice over distracts you from it.

They've gotta ditch that song. Corny as f**k.

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Personally I reckon WCOTY is a crock - I can remember some years back (not sure exactly when) that the MAGNA won it! I drove one as a company car for a while, and the only thing that car did wel was stop - otherwise it was a complete POS.

Some of the other awards might be OK, but WCOTY means nothing to me apart from which manufacturer gave the publishers more of a pay-off.

Slightly off topic, but how about the latest news??? VE SS to US?? All right! :thumbsup:

(oh, and I hate that "Go" jingle too.... - not nearly as corny as the Territory blurbo "eating" Ferraris and Porsches though - almost lose bladder control every time that shyte comes on the box! :rofl:)

ChrisJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V & VZ Storm Ute
Years ago the Leyland P76 won the COTY award. That car was the definition of a lemon.

So you always need to take these awards (judged by "experts") with a pinch a salt and make up your own mind.