Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

new vt fuel pump fitted: car almost stalls?

CV6Z

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Commodore
so i replaced the fuel pump in my vt (ecotech V6) it struggled to idle properly for a minute then come good, so i took it for a test drive and it was smooth until i put my foot down and the engine almost stalls but then comes good!!!??

i cant get my head around it, its a brand new pump fitted exactly the way the old factory one was. could it be that the tank was low on fuel? ive put 15litres in and it hasnt happend - yet. im not to familar with commodores, still learning bout em. and it only happends at low revs changing gears from 1st to 2nd (auto box)...

thoughts? thanks for any help cheers

Cúl-Báire

Reaction score
Members Ride
AUII XR8 Ute & BAII XR6
Sounds like a fuel flow issue, maybe the new fuel pump sits a little higher in the tank hence not being able to pickup the fuel too well; when you put the fuel down, the fuel rushes to the back of the tank and away from the pickup.

CV6Z

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Commodore
i see what you mean. just took it for a drive with more fuel in it and yeah it hasnt happend =) i'd say your right with it not having enough fuel flow when the fuel is to low.

KrystallyVT

Local Badass.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX '02 Acclaim Series 2
I don't know if you got it fixed yet, but mine had the same problem.
Becomes hard to start, and if you turn right on a round about it stalls too?
Getting a whole new fuel pump kit put in it because the wires and what not were pretty dirty apparently.
So I'm hoping that's all it is.

Goodluck with it mate, this problem had been doing my head in for months!

CV6Z

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Commodore
nah havnt had it fixed yet aye, ive pulled the tank out n everything - pulled the pump out again n placed it in the assembly n back in the tank the way i got it out and its still playin up!!! gonna get a new tank, pump and assembly n get it fitted up...hopefully thats the end of the problem. its really annoying stalling on a right turn with still just under a quarter of a tank left..

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Check the age of the fuel-line filter. It's most probably full of 'crud'. If you did replace it at the same time as the new pump (which you should have), did you install it with the arrow facing in the correct direction?

CV6Z

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Commodore
sh*t!!! nah i didnt even think to replace that! i'll get one this week n replace old filter n see how it goes....should of known better but i just forgot..

jackass_69k

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs vacatioer
i have the same problem but mine is a vx turn right and the car cuts out i have replaced the fuel pump and fitters plz help its driving me isane

VSteve

Reaction score
Try cleaning your MAF. I had the same problem and it turned out to be a dirty MAF sensor.