Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New VY Front end

Lachgarrick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II
Hi guys, I've had a smash in my VY series 2 and want to fix her up, I need a new wheel arch from just infront of the strut mount and the radiator mount plus guards, bonnet, etc. I wanted to know if other models (VX, VT, etc) would fit in there as the VY's seem to sell for more than most others.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
For a hit that big I wouldn't bother, you'd be much better off reshelling or buying something else. For damage that extensive you really should get it on a car aligner to see if the strut towers or rails have moved. Would be a pretty decent job to replace a section that big.

Lachgarrick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II
I wanted to repair it just for the experience more than the car itself but thanks for the advise

For a hit that big I wouldn't bother, you'd be much better off reshelling or buying something else. For damage that extensive you really should get it on a car aligner to see if the strut towers or rails have moved. Would be a pretty decent job to replace a section that big.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
You don't want to be learning to repair on structural parts of the car. Even those more experienced wouldn't bother. It'll never be right, especially if you're inexperienced.

Lachgarrick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II
the frame and strut towwer is fine its just the wheel arch and radiator mount, its nothing too major

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Monocoque chassis. The arch in front of the strut tower is still structural. Don't touch it if you're not qualified to do so.

Lachgarrick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II
nah im gonna give it a go anyway, see how i go, gotta learn somehow, if shes no good she won't be on the road

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
nah im gonna give it a go anyway, see how i go, gotta learn somehow, if shes no good she won't be on the road
That's the point - you won't know if it's no good. Thing will have no resale and will be a safety hazard, not just for yourself but for the general public.

Structural repairs aren't something to be testing your newly acquired welder on or trying to learn to fabricate and weld.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
the frame and strut towwer is fine its just the wheel arch and radiator mount, its nothing too major

Throw up some pics.

The way you describe it, to get damage to the wheel arch to the point of total replacement is a pretty big shunt hence the suggestion for the aligner. Chassis repairs aren't really a learn as you go thing like panels and paint can be.

Last edited: