Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New windscreen

holden12345675

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV
need some recommendations on a replacement front window inc install on a vf2
any companies to stay away from etc

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
If you’ve got the heads up display, such requires a specific windscreen which has a special laminate, so best to use factory glass if you can get it.

And if the installers don’t know about lane departure warning and the other vision systems our cars have, they won’t know about the calibration process that’s required after new windscreens are installed, so best to stay away from such installers if they look confused when you aske them such questions… .

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
need some recommendations on a replacement front window inc install on a vf2
any companies to stay away from etc
Do you have windscreen cover on your insurance? If yes sort it through insurance. That's what I did and it saved me close to $1000, as mine was an acoustic windscreen.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Do you have windscreen cover on your insurance? If yes sort it through insurance. That's what I did and it saved me close to $1000, as mine was an acoustic windscreen.
Windscreen cover is an absolute must on modern cars with HUDs and lane departure tech etc. Some of those windscreens cost thousands to replace as A) it’s a special windscreen and B) the cameras etc need to be recalibrated in a lot of cases, which is expensive.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
If you’ve got the heads up display, such requires a specific windscreen which has a special laminate, so best to use factory glass if you can get it.

And if the installers don’t know about lane departure warning and the other vision systems our cars have, they won’t know about the calibration process that’s required after new windscreens are installed, so best to stay away from such installers if they look confused when you aske them such questions… .
I did a lane departure warning calibration on the Motorway at night a couple of weeks ago to see if it works after a windscreen replacement on a Redline wagon, and it seemed to calibrate fine. It was bright enough on the Motorway for the front camera to pick up the white lines and with minimal traffic, I could hold the car straight in the lane long enough to complete the calibration without interference.

The calibration was way off after the windscreen replacement and re-calibration in this instance was certainly necessary.

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
I did a lane departure warning calibration on the Motorway at night a couple of weeks ago to see if it works after a windscreen replacement on a Redline wagon, and it seemed to calibrate fine. It was bright enough on the Motorway for the front camera to pick up the white lines and with minimal traffic, I could hold the car straight in the lane long enough to complete the calibration without interference.

The calibration was way off after the windscreen replacement and re-calibration in this instance was certainly necessary.

How did you calibrate the lane departure system?

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
How did you calibrate the lane departure system?
With the GM GDS2 diagnostic software subscription and MDI2 interface, same as the dealers use. With a Wi-Fi stick in the laptop for an internet connection, you can run it on the road and then open the calibration function whilst driving the car on a straight piece of road with painted borders.