Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Newbie Alert! Ordered a VE II Berlina International and looking for suggestions

Killeroo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina International
Having surfed this place a bit I can tell Berlina's aren't really the 'cool' cars but I'm more interested in comfort than grunt.

Anyway I've ordered the VE II Berlina International with the following modifications to be factory-fitted:

- Phantom Mica
- Leather Steering wheel
- Leather wrap gear selector
- alloy faced pedals
- full-size spare alloy wheel & tyre (20"x8" fluxus)
- Sat-nav
- rear overhead DVD player
- rubber floor mats
- seat inserts (lambswool)
- insect screen
- 20”x8” fluxus alloy wheels
- moulded mudflaps
- locking wheel nuts
- bonnet protector
- headlamp protectors
- towing package 1600kg
- tinted windows
- HSVi spoiler kit

I'm also trying to get the Calais headlights and tail-lights for the black inserts, and also looking into the gloss black inserts for the wheel, console & centre stack.

It's scheduled to be delivered mid-June.

I've read here that the standard VE speakers are crap (not sure if the International has these), and that I might like to look into getting these replaced.

Any suggestions/tips/comments would be greatly appreciated, and yeah, I know I'm a n00b so be gentle! :)

Andrew_Guppz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore International 2009
Hey,

Nice car you will be happy with it, The stock speakers aren't very good but if you put in aamp on them they will go better or you can upgrade the speakers as well.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Don't waste your money on trying to improve performance. They're a decent cruiser so focus on comfort and looks. That's the best advice I can give.

The usual, wheels, maybe slightly lowered, sound system, etc etc...

Killeroo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina International
thanks guys. yep not looking to improve performance, the Berlina more than covers the grunt I'll need - it's my first NEW car so I just want it to be pretty :)

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
Nothing wrong with the Berlina's I'd rather a Berlina than a SV6 and with the mod's you've already done it should be a sweet looking, luxury cruiser.
I wouldn't bother about performance mods to the engine on a V6 either.

stevei

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Camry Grande 2007
My Dad just bought one of these. Had it delivered about 3 weeks ago. The Berlina VE Series II Int'l is amazing value! Dad bought the Sportwagon and the only extras were a dealer fitted towbar (for some strange reason the dealer fitted the 2100kg tow bar rather than the 1600kg one), and the premium paint (Nitrate), both of which the dealer threw in at no cost, and then took $1500 off the advertised price. Bargain!

I took it for a run to Canberra last week (from Sydney) to rack up the km's and get it ready for towing. Just beautiful to drive on the freeway. I was quite surprised how much "go" it has for a 3.0 liter (given it's brand new), and how quiet it is as freeway speeds.

Suffice to say I'm considering a Calais V Sportwagon, if I can get one for the "right price"

Killeroo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina International
thanks again!
I'll have to take mine on a roadtrip as well to break her in for towing, good idea stevei. Out of curiosity, (dumb question) whats the difference between the 2100 and 1600 tow bar - can it handle more weight without affecting performance?

stevei

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Camry Grande 2007
hey Killeroo. I don't know what the physical difference is between the 1600kg and 2100kg tow bars. Maybe thicker steel, additional mounts. I'm really not sure as I haven't seen them side by side to make a comparison. To me it seems strange that the 3.0 liter Omega and Berlina are rated at 1600kg, and the 3.6 liter SV6, Calais etc are rated at 2100kg. Same chassis, same auto transmission etc. I would imagine that's possibly a Marketing Department thing, as in "you wanna tow more weight, then you buy the next model up", with the extra "bells and whistles", which of course forces you to put your hand even deeper into your pocket.

I think from memory years ago, you could virtually buy any model commodore you wanted with any engine/transmission combination. Those days are long gone. Seems Holden have learnt from the Europeans.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
i got an international too.... speakers are crap (at least no better than the rest of the holden range). it's one of the first mods people should do.

get them to throw in 2 flip keys btw!

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
Out of curiosity, (dumb question) whats the difference between the 2100 and 1600 tow bar - can it handle more weight without affecting performance?

pretty sure its the same bar, you just get a 'tow pack' which is basically a load levelling kit.
very unlikely you'll need it... you'd have to be towing a pretty serious trailer setup (with its own brake setup). what are you planning on towing?