Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Newbie: Cam / ECU / head porting quote - reasonable price?

momotomo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS Commodore
Folks,

Recently picked up a '99 5.0, going through the motions of adding a few little personal touches. Had a VY IRS retrofitted to it and a GTS twin 2.5" exhaust setup, next stage is this, just wondering if the price looks reasonable. First time working a car up so wasn't sure what to expect.

Whats going in:

- Autronic ECU
- Cam
- Lifters, Springs, Rockers, Retainers, Locks
- Dyno Tune
- Head port

Consumable + Labour = $8800 total. My asshole puckered a little bit when I read the figure, but if it's reasonable, going to go for it.

Also, is this going to demolish the rest of the driveline with the engine running that gear? It's a Getrag 5sp with a factory LSD behind it.

Cheers in advance!

momotomo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS Commodore
Hate to be a dirty ####ing thread bumper but looking to confirm this work next week. Anyone got a ballpark on if it's decent?

Will likely get the clutch done + a better ratio on the diff gear at this stage. Next stage is to run with a harder cam, get the intakes and throttle body done. After that T56 + stroker kit.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I'm not too well versed in the V8 world but why are you going aftermarket ECU? That will be over $1000 easy, ask your local (or not local) tuners if they can tune your factory ECU.

Let me throw some rough figures here. Cam $500ish. Lifters etc, $1200, since it has rockers too (but why cam and rockers?). Dyno tune $600-$800. Heads $1000-$1500. Pulling engine out and putting gear in $1500ish, assuming not going to rebuild engine.

My opinion is that $8800 is way too much for a cam and head work with tune IMO. For that sort of cash, I would stick a supercharger to the side of the block.

EDIT: There we go, only $6300, http://www.raptorsc.com.au/kits.php?id=31

momotomo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS Commodore
Acarmody - actually your figures match their figures, it all sounds pretty much on par.

I'm the one nominating the ECU (Autronic SM4), tied up with some other things I want to do with the car. The rest of the work matches your prices (the Autronic takes ~$2300 of the budget). The head work comes out to $1k, tune at $700, work is $1600 so it's pretty spot on.

Staying N/A out of personal preference, nothing wrong with blowers, just a preference thing. In five years if the novelty's worn off from this rebuild I'll probably consider bolting one on just to get a last-gasp out of it all before it gets parked up.

Cúl-Báire

Reaction score
Members Ride
AUII XR8 Ute & BAII XR6
As above, I reckon you are paying way way too much; for that price I'd be wanting a 355ci stroker kit thown in.

1) Find someone that can tune the stock ECU, that will save you about a grand and alot of people have had good success tuning the stock ECU, if you want to upgrade maybe go a Crane Hi6 ignition system with the stock ECU apparently you can squize a few extra ponies out.

2) I wouldn't bother with the porting and polishing of the heads, it's an expencive process for an unmeasureable gain; the VN/VT 5.0 ltr heads flow quite well anways.

To give you an idea of pricing (Estimate only)...

Cam: $750 (it's a roller cam)
Springs, Rockers, Retainers, Rods, etc... $1200
Ignition System: $500 (If you want to go that way)
Misc Seals, Gaskets, Consumables etc... $250
Labour to carry out work: $1200 (Calculated at 16hrs @ $75per hour)
Dyno Tuning: $1250 (This is the high end of the scale)

Total: $5150.00

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Depends one what he wants out of the car.
A good porting job will make a massive difference. If he's got the money then go for it.
Its nothing to spend $2500 - $3000 on head work.

momotomo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS Commodore
Good feedback, thanks for the prices. Most of the work seems to line up with the prices they've indicated (if i take out the ECU + Porting it rounds out around the 5K mark). Basically its 5K for the base hardware / install / dyno run + 2.5 on the ECU and 1K on the porting.

The ECU is staying in purely 'cause I'm keen to have it, will have a think about the porting. Price part for part matches Cul-Baires / acarmody's quotes so far though.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
If you really want the aftermarket ECU than sure its your money, but for the same coin you could have your stroker kit. But I can't see any added benefits to having the aftermarket.

mooseboost

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport Series II 5.7 6 Speed
One thing to consider when going after market computer is yes you can get it tuned to suit cam, temperature, etc on the day of tuning, but as the weather gets colder or hotter your car will need a lot more fine tuning. This is unavoidable. So this will be and on going expence for a while. If you use Kalmaker (which is a live tuneable delco ECU) this still retains all the factory cold/hot starts etc that they spent hundreds of hours perfecting so timing and main fuel adjustments are the main adjustments needed after cam etc work is preformed. Maybe talk to the workshop that's going to do the work. The other thing with Kalmaker is because its a modified Delco ECU there is not wiring, it just plugs straight in. Check out Kalmakers website.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
yeah forget the aftermarket ecu its just a huge waste of money for 0 gain you loose more good points taking out the delco :D