Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

newbie car audio question!

pac3y

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt S Pack Series 2
okay as the title suggets i have a newbie car audio question......(please dont flame :bow: )

i have 2 kicker comp vr (12 inch) subwoofers lying around, i read somewere that they came in dual 2ohm or dual 4 ohm models?....how do i find out which one's i have?

i also have the kicker zx750.1 mono block amplifier so if anyone can shed some light on how to wire the subs together that would be awesome!

many thanks!

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
I imagine it would have the voice coil info on the sticker on the magnet, but failing that you can measure the resistance with a multimeter.

Luke0011

Car Audio Installer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina 2005
Yeah well normally, they are written on the woofer but measuring the impedance ( resistance ) is required. The reading wii be approximatly around 2 or 4 ohms. Hopefully you have the dual 2 ohm model as that will allow you to wire it the the amp as a 2 ohm load by connecting the woofer coils in series and then connecting the 2 subs in paralell. If you have the dual 4 ohm model you will connect it as a 4 ohm load. It just means the 2 ohm setup will get the most from your amp.

AutoSlick

Reaction score
Members Ride
Golf GTI Mk6
Did you end up having a look yet mate?

pac3y

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt S Pack Series 2
nah i havnt had a chance yet, i have the day off tomorrow so ill post it up in the morning!

pac3y

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt S Pack Series 2
okay sorry for the delay, they are 2ohms per sub. (comp vr)
any one no how to wire them up to my monobloc which is the kicker zx 750.1? im pretty handy with wiring and what not is someone could throw up a diagram of some sort?

thanks!

pac3y

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt S Pack Series 2
bump...i found the ohms, now i need a diagram to wire them up!

theSeekerr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II Executive Manual
OK.....I think you've described having a dual 2 ohm coils on each sub, yeah? Assuming your amp is stable for driving a 2 ohm load, the best way to hook it up would be like:

| Input +
|
|
|
(+)-------(+)
Sub 1

(-)--------(-)
|
|
|
|
(+)-------(+)
Sub 2

(-)--------(-)
|
|
| Input -

That is to say, wire the voice coils of the each sub in parallel (+ to +, - to -) giving the equivalent of a 1 ohm sub (Because 1/Z(parallel) = 1/2 + 1/2 = 1, therefore Z(parallel) = 1/1 = 1 ohm).

Then wire the two subs in series (+ to -), giving a 2 ohm load for the amplifier. (Because Z(series) = 1 + 1 = 2 ohms)

But FIRST, check whether you're amplifier is rated to drive 2 ohm loads. I can't be bothered to find the product page myself.