Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Newbie engine advice - VE SSV - L98 vs LS3

Barrythegreyhound

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE wagon manual
Hi everyone,

newbie so be gentle.

looking for advice, or an existing relevant thread for advice for my VE SSV.
I've bought a manual wagon - originally an RS350 from Patterson Cheney in Melbourne with an OTR and stainless tubular headers and a PCM tune from new.
Its a sweet rig and they'll have to bury me in it when I die.

The motor has a slight tick, I'm assuming its heading down the sad lifter pathway.
Its got 200,000k's on it so I'm expecting its going to need more than just some new lifters and cam swap - more rebuild territory.
Its also our second car for the family so I can't take it off the road for 3-5 weeks to get it rebuilt.

So here's my options as I see them - love some advice from those who've been down one of these pathways.

1. bite the bullet for an LS3 crate swap - $15k+ when LS3's are available - noting that they're out of production as there's no cranks being produced right now.
2. L77 swap - probably $13k + again if I can find an L77 crate motor
3. buy an LS3 crate from the states and swap it in myself - not the worst option and I've built a car or two before but still $12k+ for the engine landed here
4. buy an LS3 long block from the states and hopefully all my manifolds, wiring etc bolt straight across from the L98 (I assume the can based on head compatiblity). I can get one landed here for about $8k including taxes etc it looks like.
5. some other obvious option that everyone is going to shout at me about that I've missed.

Key question is - mechanically I'm not worried about swapping an engine myself but would an Australian LS3 E38 PCM be a decent starting plug and play tune to the LS3 from the US alongside all my L98 accessories transferred across. at leasst enough to drive around a bit and take for a proper tune if its not perfect?

thanks in advance

Barry The Greyhound

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
All doable options -some easier than others. Personally, I would just do cam/lifter change in the L98. 200k kms isn't really a huge amount for an engine that spends most of its life below 2000rpm. Consider it like a big diesel is some respects, and 200k kms is nothing on a big capacity diesel.

Sticking with the L98 keeps it all original too. Easier and cheaper also.

Barrythegreyhound

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE wagon manual
All doable options -some easier than others. Personally, I would just do cam/lifter change in the L98. 200k kms isn't really a huge amount for an engine that spends most of its life below 2000rpm. Consider it like a big diesel is some respects, and 200k kms is nothing on a big capacity diesel.

Sticking with the L98 keeps it all original too. Easier and cheaper also.
Thanks for that - so far the two supposedly reputable places (lots of forum feedback and positive google/FB scores) I've spoken to have said that with 200,000 k's on it, it will be a full rebuild pretty much and the change won't be anything from $10k plus. eek!

hence the dance around crate motors etc.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
I mean, maybe it does need a rebuild, but given the expense I'd be doing some carful checks -comp test, leak down, plug colour, oil analysis etc. to see what state the engine is in before going too much further. if it turns out it does need a rebuild, revisit your crate donk options above. Good luck.

Barrythegreyhound

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE wagon manual
I mean, maybe it does need a rebuild, but given the expense I'd be doing some carful checks -comp test, leak down, plug colour, oil analysis etc. to see what state the engine is in before going too much further. if it turns out it does need a rebuild, revisit your crate donk options above. Good luck.
thanks - appreciate your advice legend.

timd29

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V S1 International 6.0
I'm with brettly here 200k ks isn't alot for an l98 if it's been treated right. If your not after more power it will hang in there for another 100k with some minor maintenance. (Obviously I have idea on condition it could be crapped out already)

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
I would have thought a nice angry rebuild of the current engine would be a viable option would it not? Certainly not breaking new ground either. Stroker town is where I would wanna live if I ever had to move from Blownsville!!!

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I would have thought a nice angry rebuild of the current engine would be a viable option would it not? Certainly not breaking new ground either. Stroker town is where I would wanna live if I ever had to move from Blownsville!!!
Why not both? :cool:

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
I'd do original engine or buy replacement engine & rebuild that over time that way can keep driving your car & not off the road.

Lifters are shot n most ls engines with 100k plus..cam not farther behind but bare in mind even after rebuild or ls7 lifters + a cam replacement half of them are still noisey to picky owners.

Yours most likely needs lifters & seals being in 200k range although personally if got the mechanical skills I would just change lifters & keep driving it untill rear main lets go around 250k-300k when it really will need rebuilding lol

Barrythegreyhound

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE wagon manual
I'm with brettly here 200k ks isn't alot for an l98 if it's been treated right. If your not after more power it will hang in there for another 100k with some minor maintenance. (Obviously I have idea on condition it could be crapped out already)
yeah that's a good point. In that I'm going to beat on it at some stage so I won't be babying it. crate it is I think. Thanks for taking the time to help out.