Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

newly installed 5lt into v6 vp now wont start

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 vy v6 manual ute
I have just put my 5lt outta my vn into a vp and now it wont start, the fuel pump doesnt sound like its working and the battery light stays on wen I take key out ggrrrr its doing my head in

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 vy v6 manual ute
its got an alarm?immobiliser plus the security switch in the passenger side front door pillar near glovebox, I used the wiring harness that was with the V8, yeah it does crank over but nuthin. Congrats on ur 1000th post too

ashleysnep

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
355 VN GRP A REP
Check if there is spark. Sounds like somthing is cutting the fuel pump out and makes me think security related. Dont know whats with your batt light tho?

Dont know much about the VP loom but could the VN engine not be compatable? Used the VN computer?

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 vy v6 manual ute
will check for spark yeah was thinking security related an yeah they r compatible I asked a auto sparky before I started an yeah am using the v8 computer. I'm trying to get it ready for gazzanats this weekend ggrrrr fkn cars lol

m62vpute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP MANUAL S/C 3.8 UTE
Dont think there is any differences in fuel pumps. You should be able to hear the fuel pump prime for about 2 or 3 secs with the key in the on position.

Maybe try getting hold of a multimeter or test light and seeing if the fuel pump is getting any power at the tank.
If there is no power at the tank for the fuel pump, check fuel pump fuse and maybe try swapping the fuel pump relay with a known working relay.

Maybe as a very very quick test you could use a LITTLE bit of aerostart and see if it gets it going. *I take no responsibilty if the motor backfires and you lose some eyebrows
If it fires with the help of a LITTLE aerostart then I would be tracing back any wiring that has to do with the fuel pump.

The battery light staying on could be a seperate issue altogether

m62vpute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP MANUAL S/C 3.8 UTE
This could be some help

DSC00147 fuel system.JPG

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 vy v6 manual ute
ok we can get the fuel pump working by looping the wire from the kill switch to the computer (by auto sparky's suggestion) and the battery light goes off wen the fuseable link is disconnected. GGGRRRR these VP's are giving me the shits, we changed motors 5 times last year on the vn skid car an not one single problem and now we got vp's they r nuthin but trouble

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 vy v6 manual ute
lol well fixed it turned out to be the friggin fuel lines were on wrong :bomb: hahaha oops