Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Nicks VR

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
Thanks for the comment mate.

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
More done yesterday.

Front bar is off, all a/c lines are out, tail shaft and exhaust is out. The mounts are all loosened off, now just to lever the V6 out of there.

Click for larger pic.

Bizmark

Reaction score
Members Ride
93' Pov-Pac
Nice Clean VR you have there, she's looking good. Hope the V8 conversion goes along well!

Did the chrome intake pipe from the airbox to TB on the V6 do anything performance wise, or was it purely cosmetic?

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
Thanks mate. The conversion isn't going any where at the moment as time is the main factor. Hope to get something done this weekend coming.
The chrome intake didn't do anything performance wise as far as I could tell but got it for looks more than anything.

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
Well today I got motivated to do more. A mate and my dad motivated me to get it out so that helps, lol. Engine is out and so is the exhaust. The engine bay is degreased, came up really quite clean which is good but I will still tidy it up more. Now for the pics.

Next step is the K-Frame to come out and the new to go in.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Nice work Nick. Can't wait to see the finished product. How much did you buy the 304 for?

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
Thanks mate, neither can I. Complete wreck cost $2500.

alexp36

Keep honkin-I'm reloading
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Hi Nick. Love that you are going for the 304. Can't beat the sound and feel of a V8. It's going to transform your car. Only problem I have with the V8 is traction :)
Engine bay is surprisingly tidy too, has it been repainted at some point?

Got a request for you though: Can you post some shots of the speedo wiring connections in your engine bay for me?

I've never got around to sorting out the speedo on mine since I put the 5L in it (slack, I know). One of the main issues is, I don't know where in the engine bay to find the wiring to connect to the back of the trans.
Mines a bit non-standard in that I got the motor, trans, and computer from a VN, so I couldn't just look at how the old trans was connected.
I assume the wiring comes through the firewall some where, either from the speedo, or from the computer, before going down to the back of the trans, but haven't been able to either locate it myself, or find specifics about it online. Wiring diagrams are not much help for actual physical locations of things.
Any help you can give would be much appreciated, Cheers, Alex.

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
Thanks mate. Hasn't been repainted as far as I know. Do you want the car side of the plugs or engine side for speedo plugs. It goes from the trans to the engine bay plug as far as I know. I'll take some snaps for you of the plugs.

alexp36

Keep honkin-I'm reloading
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Thanks Nick,

Basically, it's the underbonnet and/or firewall bit of wiring I need to locate, so I can connect it to the back of the trans.

I have a connector on the trans for the speedo wiring, but I can't see a corresponding wire, or part of the wiring loom to plug into it.

I have no idea how/where the speedo wiring underbonnet is.
Don't know if it splits off from the main engine loom under bonnet, or if it comes through the firewall straight from the dash/speedo area, and straight down to the trans from there.

I'm guessing it probably comes through to the bay with the loom from the ECU, cause the ECU and loom have been changed on mine (if it was elsewhere, maybe direct from the speedo, I guess there would be a spare wire hanging down somewhere).

Put it this way: assume you're dealing with an idiot who knows nothing :hmmm:

Cheers, Alex.