Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Nitrate MY16 SSVR has arrived

Brabham

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nitrate VF2 SSVR
So my order is placed and I have some time to kill.

So inspired by Super coach's thread http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vf/255878-my16-jungle-green-ssv-redline.html, I thought I post my about my 4 year journey to my recent purchase.

Part 1.

I have owned a variety of cars over the years, my first being a 1978 Chysler Centura with the 245 Hemi.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Centura

Fantastic car until you wanted to turn or stop. :driving:

Somehow, despite the combination of a car that tried to kill me and an over inflated assessment of my driving skill, I survived.

A couple of fuel efficient Toyota's followed, before I purchase a new WRX in 1998.

What a wonderful car that was. It was also the last time I purchased a brand new car for myself until now.

After that, company cars filled the driveway until 2009 when I purchased a demo Honda Euro.

I really loved that Honda, it was the best BMW 3 series knock off money could by. While no race car, it was beautiful to drive with almost everything you could want.

But I missed having that thrust from the right foot..... I wanted something faster. So in 2012, I started looking at the SS Commodore.

Last edited:

Brabham

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nitrate VF2 SSVR
Part 2.

So by 2012 I was once again on the look out for a new car. I started with a budget of around 30k.

A V8 had never been parked in my driveway before, so 8 cylinders was the first carsales filter I put in. I really wanted that V8 grumble, but was struggling to find anything that tickled my fancy, and wallet.

Traditionally a Ford man I was disappointed to learn the Falcon no longer came with a V8. FPV was not remotely close to the price range. I also looked at some E-Series HSV's and found them grossly overpriced. So the 6.0 VE Commodore was all that was left. The Honda had spoilt me though, so now I needed some niceties on top of the increase in power. The top model commodore was still fetching good money for second hand and my 30k wasn’t going to stretch very far.

The bigger problem though was my research. You couldn’t find a review anywhere that put the commodore in front of the Turbo Falcon. I wanted a V8, but didn’t want to be smoked by every XR6T roaming the earth (and there were plenty of them). The FG2 Turbo was being raved about in 2012, and the proposed VF commodore was still months away (and like all new models, expensive and possibly a lemon).

So, I gave up on the V8. It wasn’t meant to be.

I started looking at G6ET’s, and while the sticker price was 56k new, demo’s in the mid 40’s were possible. Eventually in 2013, I found what I was looking for and got my Black G6ET. 5 months old with 5,500k’s, $41,500.

Goodbye Honda, Hello tyre smoke.

Brabham

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nitrate VF2 SSVR
Part 3.

The G6ET proved to be a great sleeper. Wildly quick off the mark and feature packed with almost everything you could need.

It wasn't all beer and skittles though. Didn't have a sunroof though, and the Mrs missed the heated and memory seats from the Honda.It didn't have the right noise. I still hadn't scratched that itch of having a V8. So within a couple of months I was already looking into the new VF SS, and the upcoming FGX XR8.

The XR8 was almost immediately dismissed. Same interior to the car I already had, I knew it would be a problem in the years to come. Whatever car I bought next, I was going to be living with for the next 5 years.

So I came to these forums and starting researching the SSVR.

The series one couldn't grab me. It was obvious the AFM was not loved, and the 'noise' was still a problem. Given this was such a large part of my reason to replace the Turbo, the long wait for the rumored LS3 began.

Once the VF2 was launched, the choice was clear. An LS3 was my next car, it was just a matter of when. Like everyone else, I wanted to wait for the "final" car. It became obvious to me this was going to be at a premium. The final Falcons going for silly money, just because they were the 'last' ones.

So as I prepared to grab the last of the MY16's at a rock bottom price, the water got muddy.

The Clubsport SV black was launched.

2016-hsv-clubsport-r8-sv-black-42.jpg

2016-hsv-clubsport-r8-sv-black-39.jpg

Brabham

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nitrate VF2 SSVR
So now I was tossing up between the HSV Clubsport Black, and the SSVR.

The Black was clearly not selling very well, and it dropped from it's orginal price of 72k down to high 60's pretty quick. It looks a little nicer, had bigger brakes, and came with some gear I was going to buy anyway (20" Wheels, blackout). The sticker was 67k.

The optioned up SSVR sticker was 63.5k but I knew that could be discounted heavily. I was hoping to get what I wanted for around 56k. For me personally, the HSV was worth an additional 5 grand on the SSVR (I know others will see it differently, that's just my personal valuation on the difference).

I went out to the local HSV dealer to drive both cars. The HSV was nicer to drive, and sounded a little better. Couldn't detect the extra Kw to be honest (during the test drive).

So we got back and talked brass tax. The change over for the HSV was $48,790 (18k trade in)

I thanked him for his time and told him I wasn't interested. We talked a little more about my expectations. I told him we were miles from an agreement at that price and the HSV was off the shopping list. He asked what it would take, being $41k.

He generously suggested he could do the SSVR for that. I laughed and told him that number was much lower again. Within a short period of time (and the mandatory "we are not making anything on this deal") we agreed to 19k trade in, 56k on the new car, 37 change over.

SSV Redline.
Nitrate
Auto
Full Blackout pack (Grill, Vents & DRL)
Black Side stripes
Black spoiler
HF-20" Wheels

Expected delivery date : 22nd December 2016

The trade is was a last resort. I planned to sell the G6ET privately knowing I had the trade in as a safety net.

So while I wait, this is what the new car will look like (almost)

Last edited:

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Nice, looks great.
I pick mine up on Thursday.

Brabham

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nitrate VF2 SSVR
Nice, looks great.
I pick mine up on Thursday.

Congrats. You need to get some pics up. :)

I will be picking mine up tomorrow morning.

Just one addition to this story for those that want a trade in.

As above, I was offered $19,000 trade in on the G6ET. The plan was to try and sell it for more than that before the new car arrived, but if I couldn't, trade it in.

I was given an original deliver date of late December, so I thought I had plenty of time. I then got a call saying it would be delivered in a week.

I washed the car on the way home from work, took some pics, and got it put on car sales for $26,500 hoping for a quick sale.

The following morning, the brokers started calling. They were offering $21,000 & $22,000 so I knew I was already in front of the trade in price.

A dealer in Adelaide called me in the afternoon, and offered me $24,000 for immediate sale, no RWC, and no tyre kickers flogging my car and wasting my time. Done.

I'm sure with lots of time on my hand, I could have gotten more than the 24, but with little effort I got 5 grand more than the trade in.

Interestingly, the dealer had my car for sale 3 days later, and SOLD again 2 days after that. My car was sold twice in a week.

Anyways, looking forward to tomorrow :D

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Congrats. You need to get some pics up. :)

I will be picking mine up tomorrow morning.

Just one addition to this story for those that want a trade in.

As above, I was offered $19,000 trade in on the G6ET. The plan was to try and sell it for more than that before the new car arrived, but if I couldn't, trade it in.

I was given an original deliver date of late December, so I thought I had plenty of time. I then got a call saying it would be delivered in a week.

I washed the car on the way home from work, took some pics, and got it put on car sales for $26,500 hoping for a quick sale.

The following morning, the brokers started calling. They were offering $21,000 & $22,000 so I knew I was already in front of the trade in price.

A dealer in Adelaide called me in the afternoon, and offered me $24,000 for immediate sale, no RWC, and no tyre kickers flogging my car and wasting my time. Done.

I'm sure with lots of time on my hand, I could have gotten more than the 24, but with little effort I got 5 grand more than the trade in.

Interestingly, the dealer had my car for sale 3 days later, and SOLD again 2 days after that. My car was sold twice in a week.

Anyways, looking forward to tomorrow :D
I hope your face hurts from grinning today.
I similarly went from G6eT to a VF SS (albeit a modded my13 wagon) and the interior creature comforts alone is worth it. The sound is glorious too but the unbridled crazy thrust of the 4 litre turbo is like giving up sex for masturbation.
Seeing you've been a turbo man in the past I can only tell you that one day you will be again. Until that time enjoy the big 8.

Brabham

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nitrate VF2 SSVR
I think you are right Snowdog, this is the last V8 I'm willing to pay for (C63 just a bit too pricey for me).

First impressions are good. Love the sound, everything seems to work okay. Again, not as quick as the G6ET, but quick enough.

A few issues on pickup.

Had a 19" spare wheel. Grabbed one from another car so that was sorted.

Second issue was the side stripe not matching the front bar (VF v VF2). This will get sorted at first service.

SV6SIDI

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV REDLINE, FG XR6 TURBO
Your front bumper looks like a different shade of silver from that angle in the last pic.

villn808

Reaction score
Members Ride
Congrats mate!! And awesome write up. Nitrate is up there in my list of favourite VF colours. Hopefully see the car around the place one day.