Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

No ABS on VZ ute?

jazzhunt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5l BT1
Hi folks. Hoping you guys can help me out with a quick question. This weekend I lost my fabulous ute (I hope temporarily) after some clown came through a stop sign and belted me, despite being in traffic and in the right-hand lane. Anyway, looking at the skids while waiting for the cops and towies, I realised there was no evidence of ABS; I didn't feel any pulsing under my foot, the skids were solid lines. I thought all VZ's had ABS? Or was it only an option in the base model utes?

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Check to see if you have an ABS control module installed

This info was 'gleaned' off Holden VZ Utes (2004-) and might be an indocator as to the safety equipment installed on your vehicle.

'SAFETY
If it's not standard, it's available on the options list. That seems to be Holden's approach to active and passive safety on the utes. For starters all S and SS models come with four-wheel disc brakes and ABS antilock braking system -- base model buyers will pay extra for ABS. A new master cylinder and brake booster are said to decrease stopping distances by around four per cent.

Hydraulic Brake Assist -- which senses a panic stop and 'assists' the driver with maximum braking -- follows the same fitment protocol as ABS, while EBD Electronic BrakeForce Distribution is optional on base, and standard on S. It's not available on SS models.

Unlike the VZ passenger car range, traction control is not available on any model, neither is ESP Electronic Stability Program.

All four-door Crewmans get dual front airbags standard, front-side airbags are optional on Crewman and S, standard on SS. Driver's airbag is standard on Ute and One-tonner, the passenger's bag is optional on One-Tonner models, and standard only on Ute SS.

These days dual airbags should be standard across the range, though Holden says this mix-n-match safety spec is all about keeping the basic price of the vehicles as low as possible. '

The accompanying image is of an ABS Control Module in a 2007 VZ

VZABSModule.jpg

mattgreen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S Pack
my abs in my vt kicks in every time if i brake hard. or preaty much allways haha to heavyy

jazzhunt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5l BT1
Thanks Benboy, that's an awesome reply. If the ute doesn't get written off I'll check when it comes back.
I get what you're saying mattgreen :) I'm guessing I should have felt it before now as well - it's not the first time I've had to brake too hard:)
Looks like I don't have it but, like I said, I'll check if I get it back.
Gotta say though, even without it, it braked hard and true, which is reassuring.
But you gotta wonder if ABS would have meant it wouldn't have been hit at all.....

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
i think ABS is more about keeping control of the car then shortening braking distances. from my understand abs usually increases braking distances slightly but allows you to still be able to turn the car while braking.

tanner892

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SSV M6
Thanks Benboy, that's an awesome reply. If the ute doesn't get written off I'll check when it comes back.
I get what you're saying mattgreen :) I'm guessing I should have felt it before now as well - it's not the first time I've had to brake too hard:)
Looks like I don't have it but, like I said, I'll check if I get it back.
Gotta say though, even without it, it braked hard and true, which is reassuring.
But you gotta wonder if ABS would have meant it wouldn't have been hit at all.....

The installation of ABS wouldnt have shortened the braking distance

VZ utes did NOT come standard with ABS it was an option (for the base model atleast), so its probable that you dont have it.

jazzhunt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5l BT1
Thanks for the comments folks.
The assessor came back today and told us they could do the $12 000 (!)worth of repairs or we could get paid out that plus 3 grand for some mysterious buyer who would take the 'wreck' and pay us.
Since that would leave me without a ute and just make my bank happy that the loan was paid back I told him to go ahead and repair it.
So I guess I'll check for that module when I get it back.

chrispy89

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 6sp Manual VZ ute
is it easy to add abs to a vz ute?