Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

No crank

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
Hey guys about 6 months ago after work I jump in the ute turn ignition it fires then instantly stalls then no crank I checked battery terminals etc got a lift home returned the next morning open door reach in and turn key fires up no problems then last week jump in to go to work turn key and fires up and instantly stalls and no crank . I charged battery knowing it was good i checked all fuses swapped relays around tried starting in neutral but nothing the key opens door lock from 20 meters away no problem so guessing key battery all good anyway last night having another look and left the bonnet open and about 3.30 this morning the alarm goes of ( maybe a cat ) I grab keys and go and Investigate and thought I would try and start it and fires up straight away . Checked to see if it would start again this morning and all good ? So I am guessing something is up with alarm/ security system but what to do now as I don't want to get caught out

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
V6 or V8 VY?

Or maybe just a dodgy starter motor relay? I was under the impression the starter relay wasn't the same as the others?

If it does it again, pull out the starter relay and use a bit of wire to manually jump it and see if the engine will turn over. If it does, put the key to the ON position and jump start the engine using the bit of wire.

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
V6 or V8 VY?

Or maybe just a dodgy starter motor relay? I was under the impression the starter relay wasn't the same as the others?

If it does it again, pull out the starter relay and use a bit of wire to manually jump it and see if the engine will turn over. If it does, put the key to the ON position and jump start the engine using the bit of wire.
V6 or V8 VY?

Hey thanks for the tip .It is a 04 vy v6 130k . I have tried starting it 20 or more times over the last 5 days and after the alarm went of it started straight away which is why I thought it might have been related to the immobilizer?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Once it's running I don't think the immobilizer would shut it down, that sounds more like the main ignition relay but I don't think that would stop it cranking as that is a different relay.

If the key locks/unlocks the car I don't think it's an immobilizer issue. IF the key head battery was faulty it wouldn't unlock the car but if you unlock the door manually with the key and then insert the key into the ignition the key reader should work. I can't hurt to wipe down the ring around the ignition and the little pin on the head of the key to make sure they are clean and making good contact.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
The starter motor and EFI systems are on different relays and different fuses as far as I'm aware. I don't have wiring diagrams for the VY but I do for the VX.

The only thing they really have in common is the fusible links and battery. Maybe check for loose or dirty earth and battery connections.

I'll attach the VX wiring diagrams they might be of some use.

Attachments

• 04a.pdf
    373.2 KB · Views: 150
  • 05a.pdf
    213.1 KB · Views: 154

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
The starter motor and EFI systems are on different relays and different fuses as far as I'm aware. I don't have wiring diagrams for the VY but I do for the VX.

The only thing they really have in common is the fusible links and battery. Maybe check for loose or dirty earth and battery connections.

I'll attach the VX wiring diagrams they might be of some use.
Thanks for that . I had thought about manually unlocking door but hadn't tried it that will be the first thing I try next time in the meantime I will test the relays and check earth's the battery terminals are fine

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
A update on my issue the ute did the same thing this morning crank fired up and instantly stalled then no crank .I got out locked car with remote then opened door with key which sets the alarm of inserted key and it fired up straight away ? Don't know exactly what the problem is but must be security system playing up . Just thought update may help someone else . If anyone got any ideas as I know nothing about security system and even though the alarm only went for a few seconds I am sure the boss lady and neighbors don't appreciate it at 5 am

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
. If anyone got any ideas as I know nothing about security system and even though the alarm only went for a few seconds I am sure the boss lady and neighbors don't appreciate it at 5 am

Blame a stray cat for setting the alarm off....:)

Sorry I don't have an answer to your question, but thought I'd throw some dry humour in for good measures

• Haha
Reactions: Lex

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
Blame a stray cat for setting the alarm off....:)

Sorry I don't have an answer to your question, but thought I'd throw some dry humour in for good measures
Lol just my luck that I have the only vy with the problem if I didn't have so much bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all . And yes I did blame it on the neighbors cat

• Haha
Reactions: Lex

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Try changing the battery in the remote, if it can be done and see if that helps. VE you can change the battery but I hear some Commodores have a soldered battery, which might make it hard.