Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

No crank

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
Here we go again this morning I turned key it fires up and stalls immediately I then lock door with remote and unlock with key the alarm goes of insert key in ignition and turn but nothing tried again but nothing $##*^@ i can't get the vf out because vy in the way get the Mrs to drop me of to work ,get home after work open door , reach in , insert key , turn on it fires up straight away no problem turn on and of a few times all good . Holden tell me it is a waste of time bringing it in if going they want it towed down there not going. But I can see this costing a fortune with no guarantee that they have fixed it . Don't really know what to do

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Change the battery in the remote.
I have done it, it can be done, and it is still working and when I have time later today I will see how long the new remote battery has been in it.
Or the easy way, get a new remote but even that can be troublesome depending on how long the new remote has been on the shelf.
Then remove and clean thoroughly battery terminals and fully charge battery all day all night for best results.
Also remove refit wires to starter and earth points.
All this has been detailed on forum before by Fu Manchu
Much cheaper than being shafted by dealer clowns who by now would have no idea what to do on a VY anyway, and nor would they care.
You will end up with new everything and probably still have the problem.

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
Change the battery in the remote.
I have done it, it can be done, and it is still working and when I have time later today I will see how long the new remote battery has been in it.
Or the easy way, get a new remote but even that can be troublesome depending on how long the new remote has been on the shelf.
Then remove and clean thoroughly battery terminals and fully charge battery all day all night for best results.
Also remove refit wires to starter and earth points.
All this has been detailed on forum before by Fu Manchu
Much cheaper than being shafted by dealer clowns who by now would have no idea what to do on a VY anyway, and nor would they care.
You will end up with new everything and probably still have the problem.
Remote is approximately 3 years same as battery the earth's looks all good i have not look at starter wires it has happened about 4 times in the last year twice it started after 12 hrs and twice it started after setting alarm of

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Remote is approximately 3 years same as battery the earth's looks all good i have not look at starter wires it has happened about 4 times in the last year twice it started after 12 hrs and twice it started after setting alarm of
I had a GMH remote from a locksmith that lasted only 9 months then started doing what your car is doing.
New remote fixed it at that time.
and I often charge the car battery all day and over night after speaking to a tech at Century Batteries who told me it was important to keep a battery charged above 70%
As for connections, of course they look good but honestly, that don't mean diddly squat.
The car is after all, 20 years old and wiring/connections can break down in that time.

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
I had a GMH remote from a locksmith that lasted only 9 months then started doing what your car is doing.
New remote fixed it at that time.
and I often charge the car battery all day and over night after speaking to a tech at Century Batteries who told me it was important to keep a battery charged above 70%
As for connections, of course they look good but honestly, that don't mean diddly squat.
The car is after all, 20 years old and wiring/connections can break down in that time.
Hey thanks for the reply I will try new remote or have a go at replacing battery in it . And will check connections . One time it was out of action for a couple of weeks and I charged the battery up and swapped relays checked all fuses but made no difference but I will go through it all again and see If I can see anything wrong . I wish it would not fix itself and then you know when you fix it

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
When checking connections, make sure you unbolt powers/ earths and give them a good clean.

One product I use as an electrical cleaner is INOX....At about $15Aust for a 100G tin, it seems expensive, but it works well cleaning up connections....Just spray on, let it sit for fiver and wipe it off....

Hope it solves the problem... :)