Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

NO FIX FOUND: Stalls after powertrain light

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Still going to say Crank angle sensor. As soon as the heat gets it it’s over. Poor cold water on it and it will start I bet.

I had one of those do my head in back in the early 2000’s on a Hyundai Excel. I changed the fuel pump. No good. Changed coolant sensor and no good. Only happened when hot. Went to two workshops as well. No fix. Cooled the sensor with water, car started. Hot days were enough to do it. The ambient temp was hot enough. Cool in the night, car started.
Then I changed the CAS and problem solved.

Recently we had @Jolls do a minor systems degree getting his VZ going. It was the CAS playing up and because that is a big part of the security, when the signal dropped out it cut spark and fuel. Poor guy was going crazy I think.

Also recently Adventra guy has an engine crap out. CAS sensor is damaged and that cuts fuel and spark as part of the cars security.

Was there any codes for that in any of those examples? No. Nothing.
Definitely the CAS can cause problems and does not throw codes that indicate it is the issue. Mine was showing theft deterrent and had me tracking comms issues between the modules.

Cheers n Beer
Jolls

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
Update:
Thinking it may be the fuel pump. Was testing out a theory and left it on the "instantaneous fuel" which is sitting at about 1.2-1.3L and then when it goes to small it drops to nearly half that.
that proves it is not fuel pump
if it was starting to run lean because pump was failing
injector on time would increase and dash would show higher numbers

ZEPHYR101

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX Executive series II
I'm going to take it to a different mechanic tomorrow to see if they can diagnose it (never know if each mechanic is just trying to squeeze money out of you)

Reactions: Lex

ZEPHYR101

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX Executive series II
Took it to a very trustworthy mechanic today who has another vz in the workshop for the exact same reason and they were just about to tell the guy that they can't find the problem after trying for 3 days. So I think I'm just going to cut my losses and sell it (don't have the finances to fire the parts canon)

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Have you considered purchasing a scanner and downloading the VT-VZ factory service manual. I expect that with a bit of coaching this could be solved.

Up to you how you proceed though.

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
This^

No matter what car you own now they are essential if you don’t want to be taken for a ride or pay a mechanic to parts swap at huge expense.

At least have a go at the Crank Angle Sensor. They are fairly cheap and I’m told they can be reached with some effort, behind the right header.
A risk it might not work but worth a go IMO.

Zoe91x

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Wagon
Took it to a very trustworthy mechanic today who has another vz in the workshop for the exact same reason and they were just about to tell the guy that they can't find the problem after trying for 3 days. So I think I'm just going to cut my losses and sell it (don't have the finances to fire the parts canon)
I had the same issue couple years back and mine was the Crank angle sensor. Easy as to change yourself.

Zoe91x

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Wagon
This^

No matter what car you own now they are essential if you don’t want to be taken for a ride or pay a mechanic to parts swap at huge expense.

At least have a go at the Crank Angle Sensor. They are fairly cheap and I’m told they can be reached with some effort, behind the right header.
A risk it might not work but worth a go IMO.
Agree! Mine did their heads in and ended up being CAS. Easy enough to switch out yourself. Just me and YouTube got it sorted. Not that expensive either. So before you throw her in the bin I'd try CAS.

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Cracking the bolt that secures the harmonic balancer can be a challenge without the tools. Took mine to the mechanic

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The balancer doesn’t need to come off.