Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

No heater after flushing cooling system?

Salada

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II S Manual
Hey guys, i recently flushed the system by just undoing the 2 main hoses and flushing the radiator, and then running the engine for a few minutes with the heater on while i had a garden hose where the thermostat goes and the bottom hose undone. Put everything back and filled it up then started the car. Now it all runs fine but there's no heat just cold air coming through, I've let it warm up and there's no difference. Have i broken something? I know that's probably not the correct way to flush it.

galahs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
My first guess is you have a large air bubble in your system. If this is the case its bad and may explode something in your cooling system. I wouldn't be driving the car until you sort this out.

V6 or V8???

V8 should be self bleeding into the overflow bottle. Could be a blocked coolant line that runs to the overflow bottle.

V6, you need to make sure you fill up the cooling system from the hose that goes from the radiator to the top of the engine.
Disconnect the hose from the engine ( at the thermastat). Lift it high in the air and fill the radiator with coolant until water runs from the thermastat. Reconnect and tighten hose.
Now run car until warm and thermastat opens (radiator hose gets hot), and carefully turn the little brass screw on the thermastat to bleed off any trapped air in the system.
Top up system as full as you can get through the radiator cap.

Salada

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II S Manual
Yeah it's a v6, haven't really driven it, only got it up to operating temp a few times to test it. alrighty I'll start that right now and let you know, appreciate it :)

Salada

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II S Manual
All done and still no luck, when running and bleeding it obviously I've gotta put the cap back on and then let it cool before topping it up?

JMP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Berlina
did you use the bleeder on top of the thermostat?

Salada

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II S Manual
Yep I turned it like half/full turn and it started bubbling out water so I assume it's bled? Or am I wrong?

JMP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Berlina
Not sure about this one but perhaps the heater tap?

dope505069

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT S2 Olympic Ediiion
Did you bleed whilst the heater was on?

Salada

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II S Manual
I can see the tap opening and closing when changing hot-cold and the heater hoses in the bay are warm, not sure if I bled it on. I'll give it another shot I guess

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Go for a drive with the heater on full to get the car hot then re-bleed.