Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[NSW] no id tags on body

christianmcpherson

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss ute
i have just been offered a vy ute body with no id tags. is that dodgey? can i swap all my ss gear off a wrecked vy ss ute and tags onto this tagless body legally?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Any bodyshell which is lacking its ID tags is suspect, but there is more to identifying the car than just the tags. The body number is stamped onto the front floor of the car, immediately below the front of the driver's seat. The tags have to match the body number. If they don't match, the car will be immediately suspect as being stolen and/or re-birthed.

Unless the person who has the shell can prove its legitimacy, steer right away from it.

christianmcpherson

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss ute
yes that all makes sense. if it is legitimate and i buy the body would it have to get new tags? also would it become an SS if the donor body isn't an SS? or would it become a modified version of what ever model the donor body was?

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
No plates means no go. You can't put other ID tags on it, thats classed as rebirthing.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
yes that all makes sense. if it is legitimate and i buy the body would it have to get new tags? also would it become an SS if the donor body isn't an SS? or would it become a modified version of what ever model the donor body was?

If it's legitimate, why have the tags been removed and where are they? There is no legitimate reason to remove the tags from a legal bodyshell apart from repair, and they should then be replaced.