Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

no power to drv/side front speaker in vs sato

knight wombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 vp executive v6 auto
the original speaker was working but i pulled it out to replace it
i wired in the sony speaker and then nothing so i tried my option audio speakers still nothing
im not very good with wiring so i dont know what i should be looking for any help would be muchly appreciated
dark/green -
light/green +

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Pretty basic, positive and negative. Are these speakers new?
What happens if you put the stock speaker back in?

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Try the old speaker and see what happens, Also is the balance setting on the head unit in the middle? If you have this option on your head unit, also check the fader settings.
If the the balance setting is set to the left fully there will be no sound coming out of the right hand speaker vice versa. Also how many ohms was this sony speaker you added is it running from the head deck or amplifier?
Have you installed a new head unit or just changing the speakers?

knight wombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 vp executive v6 auto
standard head deck
i checked the balance and its right
speakers where wired in right and still get nothing when i put the old speaker back in.. the sony speaker is 4ohms
all running off the head deck
speakers are only a few months old took them out of my vn

knight wombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 vp executive v6 auto
wired up my sony speaker to the other side and works fine i think the head deck might be a bit dogdgy
cause the wiring looks alright

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
With speaker wiring it doesnt matter about polarity. Basically each way you wire it it should work. One was will sound better tho because if its wire up inverted the cone will be sucking back into the magnet where as with it correctly wired up the cone projects the sound outwards. Is the head unit stock or after market? If its aftermarket did you wire it in or did you use a conversion harness? And it may pay to rewire it between the head unit and the speakers because with age the wire will break down internally and cause higher resistance. Its what i have always done as i dont trust the factory wiring very much

knight wombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 vp executive v6 auto
With speaker wiring it doesnt matter about polarity. Basically each way you wire it it should work. One was will sound better tho because if its wire up inverted the cone will be sucking back into the magnet where as with it correctly wired up the cone projects the sound outwards. Is the head unit stock or after market? If its aftermarket did you wire it in or did you use a conversion harness? And it may pay to rewire it between the head unit and the speakers because with age the wire will break down internally and cause higher resistance. Its what i have always done as i dont trust the factory wiring very much

stock head deck im going to buy a new one tomorrow and just run new speaker wire

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
as axe said, with the repeated opening and closing of the door it could weaken the copper wire.

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
I would take the head deck out and do a continuity test using a DMM.
this will let you know if there is a break in the wire or not.
Note take the plug off the back of the head unit then do the continuity test.
Good luck